What's new

Mesh system: 2400 sq ft - Wireless backhaul only

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I will add my .02 on the XT8….. stay away from them. I tried them last year and they were nothing but flaky, even with trying a wired backhaul. I had an old pair of the CT8 that worked better, but even they had issues.

I know there are newer firmware versions available now for the XT8 but there are better hardware alternatives available.

Thank you all for this.

I will add my .02 on the XT8….. stay away from them.
I think I will take this advice for now. Appreciate your $.02.

Does anyone know how firmware for XT12 has fared? I'm guessing despite its major hardware bump that similar issues exist. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

How about the Synology RT6600ax. I realize it's a new product but it has seemed promising.

The reason I included the AX86Us is because I have a supplier who will give me a great deal on two of them. But it doesn't make sense for me to go this route if dual band will make my throughput suffer.

Not to divert too far off from this topic, but I recently replaced the internet in my home to T-Mobile 5G, in which I get fantastic speeds in my area via their millimeter wave "Ultra Capacity". They did give me a gateway modem/router combo, and I am simply trying to connect a new system into that and hide the gateway's SSID. It's made me think, what if I were to buy an extender for that instead? Pardon me for my ignorance as I've never really looked up options for this, but is a tri-band extender a thing?

put an access point where you need it. Use wired connection unless you can dedicate a radio on each to the backhaul.

The reason I included the AX86Us is because I have a supplier who will give me a great deal on two of them. But it doesn't make sense for me to go this route if dual band will make my throughput suffer.

You want 500Mbps to clients and 2x AX86U with good signal shared wireless backhaul will give you what you want, perhaps more.

You want 500Mbps to clients and 2x AX86U with good signal shared wireless backhaul will give you what you want, perhaps more.
You think so? Should I try this out and run stock ASUS firmware for increased AiMesh reliability? What I continue to read is that AiMesh on Merlin has created problems, and it did for me in the past as well on my AC68U's.

You think so?

I know so because AX86U + AX86S (the same radios) were connecting at >3Gbps backhaul at -65dBm and through a wall leaving enough bandwidth for clients. AX86U has 4x4 AX radio with up to 4.8Gbps possible link to another AX86U/S with the same 4x4 AX radio. If you tell me you have 120 wireless clients around the house obviously this is not the best solution, but acceptable for lighter load. The hardware is newer and better compared to XT8. In a single family house we usually have under 10 active devices on Wi-Fi. AiMesh is not the best, but you can't have the best with wireless backhaul anyway.

What I continue to read is that AiMesh on Merlin has created problems

Use stock Asuswrt on both routers.

I know so because AX86U + AX86S (the same radios) were connecting at >3Gbps backhaul at -65dBm and through a wall leaving enough bandwidth for clients. AX86U has 4x4 AX radio with up to 4.8Gbps possible link to another AX86U/S with the same 4x4 AX radio. If you tell me you have 120 wireless clients around the house obviously this is not the best solution, but acceptable for lighter load. The hardware is newer and better compared to XT8. In a single family house we usually have under 10 active devices on Wi-Fi.
Really appreciate the insight! I think I may try this out then. We have about 20-30 active devices or so on the network, give or take. Although only a few are used a lot.

Only you can tell if it works well enough in your environment and with your clients. What I know from experience is that AX86U has slightly better range radio than XT8 and in theory if the two units are placed in the same areas the chances are 2x AX86Us will hold better the wireless backhaul with potentially higher connection speed. AX86U has better CPU and more RAM as well. Even though it also has some early 388 firmware issues there are quite stable older 386 base Asuswrt (386_49599) and Asuswrt-Merlin (386.5_2) versions available and can be used while waiting for better 388 firmware.

Yeah, true. I’m just thinking if getting two AX86Us for the price, even if I’m getting a good deal, wouldn’t be better to just get a tri-band system.

Mulling it over now, but thanks.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!