What's new

micro-rant. What's with TP-Link anyway?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AlanTheBeast

New Around Here
I recently discovered that my home D-Link DIR-842 WiFi router was still TKIP enabled though I had to use Apple's airport CLI to discover that.
(This was prompted by a "Weak Security" warning on my iPhone when I hooked to the WiFi after the iOS 14 update).
That WiFi router was new in 2016 and D-Link's last update was also in 2016.

So after careful reading of specs and manuals I ordered a TP-Link Archer C80 which is a relatively recent model (2019) at a good price on Amazon.

And then setting it up, there is no option that doesn't allow WPA. WTF?

So I ordered a Netgear R6850 which should arrive today. At least (based on an older NG at work and reading the DL'd manual) I know that TPIK and WPA are definitely not enabled if properly configured.[1]

Further, all the manufacturers, or at least most that I see, do deserve a spanking for one thing: many (all?) have WPS buttons and modes. This should have been abandoned 10 years ago. At least it can be disabled in settings but I despair for those people who believe it's a safe way to set up a WiFi system.

Rant over. Have a great weekend and stay safe! Happy Thanksgiving, eh! (Canada).

[1] before anyone recommends I should get the OneTrue-WifiCo Turbo-Barracuda-Tiger-Eating-Blast-Master-6, save it, I don't game and the R6850 is probably 5x more WiFi/Router than we really need.

Agreed, disappointing to see WPA/WPA2 as a combined option over a decade since WPA was deprecated. I'm not sure if clients automatically connect using the most secure WPA2 option, if they did then it wouldn't be a problem but I don't have enough knowledge to know if that is the case and agree with your decision to move to a device that provides exclusive WPA2.

Philip,

I see, in my neighbourhood, most WiFi's are now WPA2/AES only. There are a few WPA/WPA2 mit der TPIK. (And one WPA2 with TPIK - I know who from the SSID - not the smartest on any given day...). This is the suburbs so the most SSID's I see is about 15 - 18 with a peak of 22 recorded by a little program I wrote to monitor my own WiFi.

Anyway the new WiFi router is here and all is good.

/Beast.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!