What's new

Mikrotik RB250GS experiences?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mark Uhde

Regular Contributor
Need a simple cheap web-managed switch. This is under $50 shipped, which seems almost too good to be true. Anyone have any of these in use long-term and have experiences? It's going up in a campground I installed Wi-Fi at. For security, their new Firewall/Gateway is VLAN'd. One of the buildings (which is hotel-style) has ethernet in every room. Presently, these are all disconnected, but I'd like them to work for a "just because" - there are two 24-port 100mbps switches connecting those rooms. I would like to simply take a VLAN in one port and stick it out two ports (one for each switch) untagged. Very basic use, so I know this product will do fine, but is it reliable? Thanks!

Sorry a bit late...

I have had two of these since they where released. There have been quite frequent firmware upgrades and it seems the bugs are now pretty much fixed. I've used these at home so not really a heavy load, and actually have a HP Procurve from before in between my computer / NAS which is the spot that has the most traffic...

But these have always worked just fine. It's managed and supports more tuning then just about anything in the price range. The configuration (especially vlans) is not very intuitive for somebody used to HP, but it does work when you figure out what they mean by what...

So if you get one update the firmware before taking it into use, and prepare to have to visit mikrotiks forums (which are pretty active) or read their wiki if you have a very exotic configuration.

Thanks, not exotic at all. One trunk port, one access port on one VLAN, and three access ports on a different VLAN.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!