What's new

Mistaken Purchase: How to Mitigate?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

QNAP Data

QNAP sent me some internal testing data on HTTPS and FTP/S performance.
The TS-870 Pro HTTPs transfers are about 80% lower than HTTP.
FTP with SSL imposes a 30% penalty on upload and 18% on download.

Bottom line: HTTPS won't get you anywhere near 100 MB/s. FTP / SSL gets to about 90 MB/s, but only on download.

Neither Synology nor NETGEAR have provided any data at this point.

QNAP sent me some internal testing data on HTTPS and FTP/S performance.
The TS-870 Pro HTTPs transfers are about 80% lower than HTTP.
FTP with SSL imposes a 30% penalty on upload and 18% on download.

Bottom line: HTTPS won't get you anywhere near 100 MB/s. FTP / SSL gets to about 90 MB/s, but only on download.

Neither Synology nor NETGEAR have provided any data at this point.

Thanks Tim. I can also report back as I went ahead and opened the T870 Pro. I have loads of data comparing the QNAP 870 Pro to the Synology 1513+ and some Ubuntu servers (all using the same cables, host, files and even ssl certificate to reduce the number of variables). A bit anecdotal I know, but at least it is data.

For a 1 GB file, FTPS downloads and uploads on the QNAP are running between 90 and 95 MB/S. I do see a small penalty as FTP downloads are at 110-115 MB/S. Since the unencrypted FTP may well be saturating the gigabit LAN (125 MB/S), we can't know for sure what the penalty is. The Atom-based QNAP had at least a 90% TLS penalty, barely managing to push 5-10MB/S.

I do have to say that this QNAP software is a bit of a mess. Synology has clearly put much thought into DSM. The QNAP hardware rocks. If only I could install DSM5 on QNAP hardware... :)

I do have to say that this QNAP software is a bit of a mess. Synology has clearly put much thought into DSM. The QNAP hardware rocks. If only I could install DSM5 on QNAP hardware... :)

This bears a bit more discussion, in a thread of a different name. First time I've heard someone knowledgeable compare the two. If you please.