What's new

Mixed review of AC5300 by SNB???

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kamwla

New Around Here
Hi Guys,

I have just given back my AC87u following 10 months of variaty of issues. I was thinking to get ASUS AC5300 but after seeing the review by SNB I have grown sceptical. The review is making the reference to the upcoming eero mesh technology. I have contacted eero customer support in regards to the basics vpn, FTp, samba, external USB drive - questions. It seems that new eero router does not support external USB hard-drive, at least for now, which makes it pretty useless when compared next to Asus or Netgar AC routers (at least for my needs). I am not sure why statement regarding eero was made by what it sound like SMB wireless veteran tester/reviewer without prior knowledge of tech specs of eero. As per comment from the customer service below, this router sounds a bit like a seamless gimmick for an ordinary home user rather than expert AC routers from Netgear, Asus, D-link or Tp-link!

Getting back to my initial question! Putting the review of AC5300 by SNB aside, would you recommend getting this router?

See corespondance below with eero support

Victor Bracht (eero Customer Support)

Jan 27, 9:46 AM

Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out. eero supports opening ports to accommodate VPN, FTP and Samba services. The USB port currently doesn't allow for external devices to be connected, but this may change in the future. Feel free to reach out with any additional questions.

Regards,
Victor @ eero

Last edited:
I found only one reference to Eero in Tim's review. I have bolded the part of that sentence which I think explains why he mentioned Eero:

If you have $400+ lying around to try on Wi-Fi experiments, wait another month or so to see if eero's mesh solution delivers on its promises.

What he's saying is, if you buy the RT-AC5300 only because you want to play with new, not fully tested technologies just because you like to experiment, then you might want to wait just to see what Eero will offer. He never implied that Eero would be a better product.

I found only one reference to Eero in Tim's review. I have bolded the part of that sentence which I think explains why he mentioned Eero:

What he's saying is, if you buy the RT-AC5300 only because you want to play with new, not fully tested technologies just because you like to experiment, then you might want to wait just to see what Eero will offer. He never implied that Eero would be a better product.
I totally get your point although offering to play with eero (pure plug and play ruter for one click home users) to Asus 5300 destined for way more tech savy and advanced users do not really cut it! What made me confused about this comment was the perception that both ruters are exchangable and it might be worth waiting for eero instead of buying Asus.

Kamwla, I didn't and still don't read it as you do. ;)

RMerlin perfectly described the meaning of my comment.

Haha lets see what this nice apple-ish piece of kit has to offer. Out next month

Mesh solution? I can bet the horse that it will offer nothing worth considering.

I'm not sure you'll get far if you jump from a slowly maturing router to a brand new one, it is little more than jumping out of the frying pan and in to the fire.

If you must go new try the AC88U or AC3100 they are rock solid right out of the box even using Asus firmware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!