What's new

MoCA 2.5 adapters?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Doesn't surprise me that the gear is stocked and inventoried. Hopefully as some of it gets decommissioned or gets 'out there' enough it will trickle into avenues that we can buy from.

He does have his own sources for equipment, and he can buy wholesale (if the equipment is available in the channel) - the MOCA adapters he gets direct from the provider, along with the residential gateways, set top boxes, telephone adapters, etc...

I'm just wondering if ActionTec made the business decision not to sell the 2.5 adapters to the public as a technical support issue.

As we all know - MOCA in general, once set up, works pretty well, but it can be a real challenge to get it up and running compared to alternatives that are out there.

I think there is just not enough support infrastructure for the 2.5. There's not much hand-holding or even support from wholesalers so the buyers have to either be experts or have their own in-house support. Actiontec in general doesn't have the best support in my experience.

Well I have a PowerLine network that I use but I was looking for higher speeds (without the cost and hassle of running Cat 5e throughout my house). I'll probably just pick up a couple of the MoCA 2.0 bonded adapters then.

Well I have a PowerLine network that I use but I was looking for higher speeds (without the cost and hassle of running Cat 5e throughout my house). I'll probably just pick up a couple of the MoCA 2.0 bonded adapters then.
After working with powerline and moca, moca is a nice upgrade for sure as it's just as easy to set up (and as hard to diagnose) as powerline, but with much greater speeds.

After working with powerline and moca, moca is a nice upgrade for sure as it's just as easy to set up (and as hard to diagnose) as powerline, but with much greater speeds.
Ok well I guess that's a good thing. Haha! I've never had any issues with my Powerline, I'm just looking for something faster. I think I need to replace the existing splitters the cable company used to distribute the coax to each room.

I bought this guy two replace 3 splitters the cableco installed. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013ENOTAG/?tag=snbforums-20 They also installed an amplifier bgut I was told that it's not necessary to replace it.

I'm just looking for something faster. I think I need to replace the existing splitters the cable company used to distribute the coax to each room.

I bought this guy two replace 3 splitters the cableco installed. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013ENOTAG/?tag=snbforums-20 They also installed an amplifier bgut I was told that it's not necessary to replace it.
You may want to start a new thread if looking for feedback on a MoCA setup, such as the pros/cons of replacing 3 splitters with a single 8-way, and whether the new amplifier is actually MoCA friendly or not. (The Holland GHS-PRO-M series splitters are my preferred choice for MoCA installs where splitter upgrades are needed.)

You may want to start a new thread if looking for feedback on a MoCA setup, such as the pros/cons of replacing 3 splitters with a single 8-way, and whether the new amplifier is actually MoCA friendly or not. (The Holland GHS-PRO-M series splitters are my preferred choice for MoCA installs where splitter upgrades are needed.)
OK I'll do that, thanks.

Anyone know if it's possible to buy MoCA 2.5 adapters anywhere? Actiontec seems to be the only one selling them but they're very firm in not selling to individuals, only cable companies.
With latest MoCA2.5, you can use AES to encrypt your data. That is much safe.

Cool - just make sure that the firmware is user friendly and well documented...
If fact, such devices are plug and play. Almost you don't need to configure it, unless you want to enable AES security function. If so, for the first device, you can login into it via web, select a encryption key and enable security. For other devices, you can use MPS button to join the encrypted network.
With this function, you don't need to install the POE filter.
We will provide a detailed user guide.
Thanks for your comments!

f fact, such devices are plug and play. Almost you don't need to configure it, unless you want to enable AES security function. If so, for the first device, you can login into it via web, select a encryption key and enable security. For other devices, you can use MPS button to join the encrypted network.
With this function, you don't need to install the POE filter.
We will provide a detailed user guide.

Nice - might consider having some kind of WebGUI if you have the flash/ram space - it will help with tech support to get config information, link status (chan/rssi/snr), I've seen some adapter where they do have extended stats and perhaps even a spec analyzer..

Nice - might consider having some kind of WebGUI if you have the flash/ram space - it will help with tech support to get config information, link status (chan/rssi/snr), I've seen some adapter where they do have extended stats and perhaps even a spec analyzer..
We have a web UI. you can check the basic configuration and status. MoCA is really too complicated. It has too many configurations and statistics. But I think basic information is enough. Normally, we need to check band configuration and security. If all these are OK. If still not work, we need the support from chip vendor.

We have a web UI. you can check the basic configuration and status. MoCA is really too complicated. It has too many configurations and statistics. But I think basic information is enough. Normally, we need to check band configuration and security. If all these are OK. If still not work, we need the support from chip vendor.

Yep, and band config here in the US can be a challenge - some operators will do their own "overlay" not using the existing plant, which is nice, but others look to share...

So one can run into DOCSIS for Cable Modem, and DBS range for Direct TV's DECA, and MOCA is squeezed in the middle on a shared plant...

Yep, and band config here in the US can be a challenge - some operators will do their own "overlay" not using the existing plant, which is nice, but others look to share...

So one can run into DOCSIS for Cable Modem, and DBS range for Direct TV's DECA, and MOCA is squeezed in the middle on a shared plant...
The current design can support Extended Band D, Band D low, Band D high. Please check the attached frequency band map.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 16.37.01.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 16.37.01.png
    108.3 KB · Views: 573
Are there any Moca 2.5 adapters available to the consumers? I don't understand why Actiontec 2.5 Moca adapters are only available to the service providers.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!