What's new

MoCA 2.5 adapters?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

looks like they're up for sale today. I ordered a pair. When they get here, I'll set them up and post my test results.

What site did you see this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ordered directly from their site, gocoax.com. i think that's currently the only way to get them.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too am surprised it doesn't have a 2.5Gb ethernet port.
Wait so you know for sure it only has 1gigE? That's very disappointing.
if you have more than 2 nodes, you can get some benefit out of > 1 gigabit speed.
if you weren't able to get full speed (1 gb) out of moca 2.0 because of attenuation or noise, this should provide more speed because of the extra channels.
these adapters cost significantly less than the actiontec moca 2.0 adapters do.
I ordered six units. I was notified that they shipped yesterday. I am excited to test them out.

Even though they have a 1GbE NIC, the value is in the shared 2.5Gb backbone. MoCA 2.5 uses up to five 100 MHz channels instead of the two for Bonded 2.0. This should result in better overall performance, especially when you have multiple devices.

I'll test the throughput while moving large datasets over multiple ports. I'm hoping to max out the 1GbE ports on 3 to 4 devices at the same time. I might even test teaming two clients to my switch to maximize the performance to my NAS. I have two RG6 cables at that location.

I'm still interested in a device that has a 2.5 GbE port, though I would expect the cost to increase, as I'm sure the 2.5 GbE chipsets are more expensive.

I ordered six units. I was notified that they shipped yesterday. I am excited to test them out.

Even though they have a 1GbE NIC, the value is in the shared 2.5Gb backbone. MoCA 2.5 uses up to five 100 MHz channels instead of the two for Bonded 2.0. This should result in better overall performance, especially when you have multiple devices.

I'll test the throughput while moving large datasets over multiple ports. I'm hoping to max out the 1GbE ports on 3 to 4 devices at the same time. I might even test teaming two clients to my switch to maximize the performance to my NAS. I have two RG6 cables at that location.

I'm still interested in a device that has a 2.5 GbE port, though I would expect the cost to increase, as I'm sure the 2.5 GbE chipsets are more expensive.
Yes let us know how it goes. For my use I would only need 2. I would be interested to see how fast you can get from just A to B.

Yes let us know how it goes. For my use I would only need 2. I would be interested to see how fast you can get from just A to B.
I will test first using just two units and share my results. Of course the performance tests rely on many variables, so all tests are somewhat subjective. I'll work hard to explain my testing methods though. I'm glad we now have a MoCA 2.5 offering, especially after being snubbed by Actiontec with their ridiculous 'Available for Service Providers ONLY' policy. This technology isn't that complicated to install, and anyone who claims that a WiFi Mesh is comparable has obviously never tested both (or either one).

I will test first using just two units and share my results. Of course the performance tests rely on many variables, so all tests are somewhat subjective. I'll work hard to explain my testing methods though. I'm glad we now have a MoCA 2.5 offering, especially after being snubbed by Actiontec with their ridiculous 'Available for Service Providers ONLY' policy. This technology isn't that complicated to install, and anyone who claims that a WiFi Mesh is comparable has obviously never tested both (or either one).
That's actually how I ended up here Haha. But I will say that my Wifi media bridge is pretty awesome. I get consistent 1.2-1.5gbps transfer speeds. My main wifi router is a Asus Rt-AC88U and the Media Bridge is an Asus Rt-AC87U. They link together on the 5ghz. This was a huge leap form the Broadband DECA(100mbps Moca) that I was using before. This is why I dont want Moca 2.0 because the speed wont be up to par with my media bridge. I'm hoping you can see at least 2gbps from A to B. That's all I want Haha. Of course in the future I may need to add more units but for now 2 would work for me.

That's actually how I ended up here Haha. But I will say that my Wifi media bridge is pretty awesome. I get consistent 1.2-1.5gbps transfer speeds. My main wifi router is a Asus Rt-AC88U and the Media Bridge is an Asus Rt-AC87U. They link together on the 5ghz. This was a huge leap form the Broadband DECA(100mbps Moca) that I was using before. This is why I dont want Moca 2.0 because the speed wont be up to par with my media bridge. I'm hoping you can see at least 2gbps from A to B. That's all I want Haha. Of course in the future I may need to add more units but for now 2 would work for me.
Well, I can probably answer that before testing anything. I don't expect to see 2Gbps between two devices. I don't believe the device is capable of this. You're likely to have more packet loss with your mesh network versus a dedicated MoCA adapter though. I'd be interested to see some of your ping times during peak usage, especially with multiple devices all streaming at the same time. In my use case, the walls of my new house are concrete, and 5GHz WiFi doesn't penetrate very well at all. 2.4 GHz is fine, but maxes out at 144Mbps. I'm running an RT-AC88U and an RT-AC86U on different floors. I'm hoping using MoCA 2.5 as a backbone will improve device roaming and overall throughput. I also have some wired devices that perform better using GbE instead of WiFi.

Wow. Yeah concrete walls will stop the 5ghz sorry to hear that. With my AT@T Dsl my ping to game servers was between 80-100ms. That was wired or wireless. Now I have Spectrum 400mbps cable internet and my ping is down to 50ms. The routers work alot more efficiently together not in a "mesh" wifi mode but the "media bridge" mode. I have my PS4 Pro, Xbox One S, Nvidia Sheild, A gaming PC, and my Samsung Q6FN all plugged into the media bridge via ethernet(you cant use the bridge as a wifi router). I direct play 100% quality tips of my 4k HDR movies from the plex server. The reason I want a faster speed is for transferring the 80GB MKV containers to the NAS after ripping(I'm impatient). But as far as everything else goes I have been more than pleased with the media bridge setup. It surprised me how awesome it actually worked. My internet speed is 400 but they give you overhead and even at peak hours I'm getting 480mbps. My PS4 pro will download huge game files at 60MBps. Freaking fantastic. Now we need Google fiber to get here..... but that's another story.

Haven't really posted about this until now, but have been watching this thread closely for months and I am excited for it. Just moved into an older house without CAT cable, but coax in almost every room. Plan on using it with new Unifi access points.
I was going to buy MOCA 2.0, but trying to hold off as long as possible for future-proofing with MOCA 2.5. Probably need to have something ordered by this weekend.
What is the return policy and warranty for these?
And curious how big of a production run is this?
Thank you! Can't wait to hear updates from others once you guys get them.

So, very excited to share that I got my two goCoax MoCA 2.5 adapters in the mail today.

I'm just going to be short and to the point - it's amazing and delivers what was promised.

I get a full symmetric gig (send/receive) between two computers on my home network. Latency is almost non-existing at a steady 3ms to my router at all times. Super responsive.
I'm using it to connect my desktop computer at location A to my router at location B, installed goCoax adapters on each end.

Set up was pretty straightforward, very short learning curve. The web interface easily lets you see the status for the link (how many bonded channels, whether the link is up or down, etc).
The only thing I would mention is that when you set it up the first time you should know that the instructions say you should go to 192.168.254.254 to access the web interface but they neglected to mention that the device has no DHCP capabilities. This means that you'll have to manually assign an IP address to your computer that's on the same subnet. To those less familiar - just configure a static IP address of 192.168.254.1 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. After you do that you'll be able to access the web admin. After the link is up - just revert back to DHCP and let your router do the rest.

Edit: added screenshots of the web admin console:
https://ibb.co/0rPGtdp
https://ibb.co/wwFqXDR
https://ibb.co/rkDLnKk
https://ibb.co/WPdBYzn
https://ibb.co/jRJ987F
https://ibb.co/ZWsCGRJ

Edit 2: adding a speed test using the adapter on my Fios Gigabit connection:
https://ibb.co/zxhsrRB

Last edited:
WOW they are already out of stock. Must be big demand or a limited first run maybe to test the market.

I'm sad that they only put 1gig ethernet ports. I'm willing to pay for 2.5gig like moca 2.5 is supposed to be.

I'm sad that they only put 1gig ethernet ports. I'm willing to pay for 2.5gig like moca 2.5 is supposed to be.

Like most things in networking, the theoretical is rarely achieved. It is enough that it at least matches GbE for now. :)

I'm okay with the 1 gig port. The value of MoCA 2.5 at this point is the fact that it can actually reach the 1 gbit speed across multiple devices (up to a total of 2.5 gbit simultaneously on a mesh network).
If I had 2.5gig ports on it, what would I really do with it? My router and networking equipment (including my desktop workstation and laptops) all have 1 gig NICs.
Truthfully a 2.5 gig port on this adapter would add no value, to me at least, and would probably increase the price of it due to the more expensive controller.

WOW they are already out of stock. Must be big demand or a limited first run maybe to test the market.
a new lot is coming...
Welcome to our website. www.gocoax.com
IMG_5665.JPG
IMG_5717.JPG

I received all six of my goCoax MoCA 2.5 adapters. I started testing them, doing things like a regular home user would do. I'm interested in estimating the performance based on different characteristics, like OOTB, different coax splitter configurations, enabling security, etc. purpleman already has screen shots of the interface, so you should reference them if needed.

To start, I made no configuration changes to two of the adapters. I connected them with a well made (tested) 10m RG6 cable directly to each other using the MoCA port. My performance tests include two PC's running iperf3 on SSD's with GbE adapters and CAT5e cables. After plugging them both in, the MoCA network is up in less than 10 seconds.

After running iperf3 in Windows, I was consistently seeing ~350Mbps. I thought it was odd that it wouldn't go any faster. For those unfamiliar with iperf3, it's a common network performance tool. I admit that it's been a while since I've used it though, and I typically run it in Linux.

After testing different PC's, different MoCA adapters, and different cables, I was still seeing ~350Mbps. The problem turns out to be an issue with how iperf3 runs in Windows by default, using TCP instead of UDP and a small buffer size. After adjusting the command a bit, I am now seeing ~920Mbps, well within the margin of error for a 1GbE adapter. In fact, Windows Task Manager shows the adapter at ~950Mbps, so maybe it's overhead or something.

I'm going to start testing through my 9-port powered MoCA splitter, and start to configure security settings. I'll report back how it goes, as I am especially interested in running multiple tests with four or more adapters. When running iperf3, use the following command:

On your server, run:
Code:
iperf3 -s -1

On your client, run:
Code:
iperf3 -c 192.168.x.x -u -b 1g -l 32k -i 1 -t 10

This assumes you're pointing your client at your server IP address. I've also found that repeat tests are faster if you start the server each time, instead of leaving it running.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!