What's new

MoCA 2.5 adapters?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JohnEnglish

Occasional Visitor
Anyone know if it's possible to buy MoCA 2.5 adapters anywhere? Actiontec seems to be the only one selling them but they're very firm in not selling to individuals, only cable companies.

I’ve been trying to figure out what isp’s they’re selling to, but with no luck. I love their 2.0 adapter, really want to upgrade to 2.5. I find it annoying that they’re not doing a consumer release.

I think it will take some time just like 2.0 took time. But I think it will come quicker than 2.0 since 2.5 gigabit ethernet is right around the corner too.

MoCA 2.5 was approved in April 2016. How long did 2.0 adapters take to make it to market?
About a year. The difference in this case is that MoCA 2.5 adapters are available, the manufacturer is just refusing to sell them to the general public.

About a year. The difference in this case is that MoCA 2.5 adapters are available, the manufacturer is just refusing to sell them to the general public.
Well, this is kinda good then as the product is already out essentially, just not to the public yet.

It's unlikely you will see MoCA offered to the general consumer. It has become a technology used mainly by service providers and in multiple dwelling units (hotels, apartment buildings, etc.)

Install hassles were more than the consumer guys wanted to deal with. Besides, it was another wired technology and consumer preference is clearly for Wi-Fi.

It's unlikely you will see MoCA offered to the general consumer. It has become a technology used mainly by service providers and in multiple dwelling units (hotels, apartment buildings, etc.)

Install hassles were more than the consumer guys wanted to deal with. Besides, it was another wired technology and consumer preference is clearly for Wi-Fi.
Ah, so you don't think the new MoCA 2.5 units will ever be made available to the general public?

I wouldn't depend on it happening. Maybe you'll be surprised. But until you see a concrete announcement with some kind of release date, I'd plan on it not happening. It's a good practice for any new technology, but particularly something this niche, which isn't really designed for consumer use.

Ah, so you don't think the new MoCA 2.5 units will ever be made available to the general public?

Probably not soon, if ever on the Amazon or other online markets for general purchase - as others have mentioned, the challenges of getting good MOCA up and running do require more than just pulling it off the shelf and plugging it in - there's a lot of factors involved in getting a good end-user experience, and depending on the current state of the Coax network inside the house, it can be pretty involved.

MOCA is very good tech - but HomePlugs were easier for consumers, and these days, WiFi and Mesh/Multiple Point WiFi platforms has kind of taken over that role - not that it's better, just easier for the consumer to get "good enough" performance.

That being said - if you "know a guy" - the Actiontec ECB6250 is the adapter that is making the rounds in the cable installer domain.

Probably not soon, if ever on the Amazon or other online markets for general purchase - as others have mentioned, the challenges of getting good MOCA up and running do require more than just pulling it off the shelf and plugging it in - there's a lot of factors involved in getting a good end-user experience, and depending on the current state of the Coax network inside the house, it can be pretty involved.

MOCA is very good tech - but HomePlugs were easier for consumers, and these days, WiFi and Mesh/Multiple Point WiFi platforms has kind of taken over that role - not that it's better, just easier for the consumer to get "good enough" performance.

That being said - if you "know a guy" - the Actiontec ECB6250 is the adapter that is making the rounds in the cable installer domain.
I would love to get my hands on 2 or 4 ECB6250s. Sadly, I do not "know a guy"...

I would love to get my hands on 2 or 4 ECB6250s. Sadly, I do not "know a guy"...

I do occasional consulting for home/small biz networks, and have a contract cable installer (he does both Cox and Spectrum installs) as one of my sub-contractors...

I'll check with him if he has access, and if he's willing to resell them.

I've never used MoCA but I'm curious as to what's involved in making it work. From the reviews I've read it always just seemed like a plug and play type deal. That said, I'd be interested in a few ECB6250s.

I've never used MoCA but I'm curious as to what's involved in making it work. From the reviews I've read it always just seemed like a plug and play type deal. That said, I'd be interested in a few ECB6250s.
I've worked with both powerline and now moca and they seemed about the same to me in terms of plug it and in and it either works or doesn't.

I think the differences is that unlike powerline, there ware a few things you can do in moca to tweak the signal and fix a marginally working setup.

I'll check with him if he has access, and if he's willing to resell them.

Checked with him earlier this week - he's got the data sheets, but no devices, and even then, it's controlled equipment for him as is most of the MOCA gear he gets - short version - it's not his gear to sell over the top...

Doesn't surprise me that the gear is stocked and inventoried. Hopefully as some of it gets decommissioned or gets 'out there' enough it will trickle into avenues that we can buy from.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!