What's new

Moca adapters, multiple set up how?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pcumming

New Around Here
If I were to add a MoCA adapter to my router and to the coax I realize I would use another bonded MoCA adapter somewhere else in the house.
1. I also assume I could connect a device via Ethernet directly to that MoCA adapter. Correct?

2. Now what if I wanted to add another MoCA adapter or two more in other rooms? How would the router know how to divvy up the IP addresses? Or would I need some sort of switch where are all the coax cables connect outside the house? Thank you very much for helping this newbie. Peter

The MOCA adapter hooked to your router just passes the traffic. Your router will hand out DHCP just fine.

The only odd thing you'll see is in traffic stats multiple clients looking like they are on the same Ethernet port on the router, cause technically they are.

I have three in my house. One at the router, two in other rooms. In the living room I have a small switch after the MOCA to wire up all my consoles and crap. They all work well and fully take advantage of my Gig FiOS. Lightens the wireless load too.

They are a great solution. I don't think many people use them due to obscurity or cost, as they are more expensive than Powerlines and other more advertised solutions. I love mine.

Thank you. So to reiterate if I had 5 Moca adapters attached to each coax outlet in the house I would not need a switch or anything else because even though the 1st Moca is attached to my main router , the router would hand out multiple IP's to EACH Moca through the one ethernet connection to the main router?

Thank you again
Peter

That's correct. I'm not even sure the MOCA adapters get an IP .. I don't see any in my router list. I think they just act as "switches" directing traffic. Someone smarter than me can probably be more technical :) . So your router is handing out IP's to your actual devices like normal.

Just keep in mind that most MOCA adapters only have a single ethernet port, so if you do have more than one device in a given room you want to connect you would need to buy a little 5 port switch or similar.

Last edited:
moca adapters are MODEMs. They convert an ethernet based signal on twisted pairs into a signal on a coax cable and vice versa. Most have a pass through port for analog cable tv / antenna signal.
Most cable simple installations are a "star" in physical arrangement all meeting at a common splitter that takes as input the cable company's signal from outside the house.
With two way communication required for digital cable and for MOCA, the splitter has to pass signals in both directions. If you are starting from a digital cable installation, the only question is the specific frequency range of the cable co.'s splitter. Unless it is MOCA 2 rated, it likely will not allow the MOCA 2 modem signals to pass through.

So you may have to replace the splitter with a MOCA 2 rated splitter.Also any other splitters in the cabling will have to be replaced.
You also will need a MOCA signa;l block filter inserted between the cable co outside source and the splitter in port to prevent your moca signal from going outside the house.

There are plenty of threads in this forum recommending specific splitters and how to install. Read please. There are also support guides at some of the digital cable co support pages for how to coexist with their existing network. it may be partially moca based. If you are not using digital cable tv or cable internet service the conversion will be simple.

You also will need a MOCA signa;l block filter inserted between the cable co outside source and the splitter in port to prevent your moca signal from going outside the house.
In my case the coax is only internal. I have FIOS externally. Everything happens on my LAN

is anything connected to the coax ?
sketch up a map of the coax layout with all devices, model #s, that are connected shown.
you and we will need that to identify issues and help you.

Thank you all very much. I understand about the POE filter and appropriate splitters as well as F Caps. I do not have any DTV coming in, just internet via Spectrum on the coax to Spectrums Arris cable modem to crappy Sagemcom router to be replaced eventually. I do have a point to point (ethernet) AP to a Nighthawk 8000p Router.

****So all in all is it safe to say if my wiring is fine in house (no extra splitters) and I have 4 Moca adapters-that I do not need anything else in the 3 rooms where I have the Moca to Ethernet adapters (connecting just one ethernet device per room) and there should be no IP conflicts since that one ethernet connection to the router/cable modem should handle it all?????????????

yes.
The moca modems do not have anything to do with IP assignment.
They are similar to an unmanaged switch.
In fact, you could put a 5 port ungmangaged switch directly connected to the ethernet port of the moca modem and have 5 very happy devices. :)

If I were to add a MoCA adapter to my router and to the coax I realize I would use another bonded MoCA adapter somewhere else in the house.
1. I also assume I could connect a device via Ethernet directly to that MoCA adapter. Correct?
2. Now what if I wanted to add another MoCA adapter or two more in other rooms? Peter

Here is a graphic on how you could do the multiple Moca adapter install. Took many trial & errors, diagram versions and many helping consults to get to this V11. Mine has been in for about 5 months and I love having this stable wired solution rather than using wireless.

As you can see you could add as many Moca adapters as you have cable runs; or as many ethernet drops as you have switch outputs to add to any of the moca adapters. As I have been told in the past, you use 1 Moca Adapter to insert the signal into the coax cabling system and additional moca adapters to convert the signal back to ethernet. Some modems or gateways will have the Moca capability built-in, negating the requirement for the first moca adapter. The basic requirement that I misunderstood early on in my efforts is that the Moca must be inserted IN FRONT of the modem. You also have to be using Moca capable splitters (correct frequencies and bi-directional) on your coax to pass the signal both ways. If your going to spend $$$ on Moca adapters another 10-12$ for quality splitters is worth it. I used BAMF, but there are others.

G3YjJAU.jpg

Here is a graphic on how you could do the multiple Moca adapter install. Took many trial & errors, diagram versions and many helping consults to get to this V11. Mine has been in for about 5 months and I love having this stable wired solution rather than using wireless.

As you can see you could add as many Moca adapters as you have cable runs; or as many ethernet drops as you have switch outputs to add to any of the moca adapters. As I have been told in the past, you use 1 Moca Adapter to insert the signal into the coax cabling system and additional moca adapters to convert the signal back to ethernet. Some modems or gateways will have the Moca capability built-in, negating the requirement for the first moca adapter. The basic requirement that I misunderstood early on in my efforts is that the Moca must be inserted IN FRONT of the modem. You also have to be using Moca capable splitters (correct frequencies and bi-directional) on your coax to pass the signal both ways. If your going to spend $$$ on Moca adapters another 10-12$ for quality splitters is worth it. I used BAMF, but there are others.

G3YjJAU.jpg
Im confused on how you got coax from ATTIC-2WAY (left side) to MOCA ADAPTER to MODEM COAX in? What type of adapter is that exactly? Thank you in advance.

I just tried what I thought would work and it did not. Here is my layout, what did I do wrong? thanks folks in advance!!!

Attachments

• 20201114 MoCA Network Final(revised).pdf
    39.7 KB · Views: 666
What do the lights on the Actiontec adapters say ?
Are all the Actiontec modems showing a coax sync light ?
if you don't have sync lights, disconnect all but two modems from the coax. if that does not show sync, connect only the garage panel modem to another modem at the end of the cable at the outside panel - does that show sync ?
If it does, move the modem that was connected at the outside panel to one of the splitter output ports - does that show sync ?
test all the ports, and then if good, then add one cable + modem at a time.

You will have to trace one by one following the signal flow to find the issue.

The Actiontecs should have a link status diagnostic page that shows the link rates and modem to modem connections

What do the lights on the Actiontec adapters say ?
Are all the Actiontec modems showing a coax sync light ?
if you don't have sync lights, disconnect all but two modems from the coax. if that does not show sync, connect only the garage panel modem to another modem at the end of the cable at the outside panel - does that show sync ?
If it does, move the modem that was connected at the outside panel to one of the splitter output ports - does that show sync ?
test all the ports, and then if good, then add one cable + modem at a time.

You will have to trace one by one following the signal flow to find the issue.

The Actiontecs should have a link status diagnostic page that shows the link rates and modem to modem connections
Thank you for responding!
1. Both on and Green.
2. I can not confirm it, but I believe they would be on. YET, Our issue seems to be the adapter at modem end picks up first adapter, its stays with it, and drops the rest. Not understand why?

Can it be - I do not need an actiontec adapter at the CABLE MODEM end, its a spectrum modem and they told me that it is MoCA ready.

Thank you.

have you tried copying Tomas's layout above around the Arris modem and the location of the POE filter ?

have you tried copying Tomas's layout above around the Arris modem and the location of the POE filter ?
I actually replied on there asking how he has three points of entry on one adapter? this is what I wrote and also look at that part. you tell me what you think?

" Im confused on how you got coax from ATTIC-2WAY (left side) to MOCA ADAPTER to MODEM COAX in? What type of adapter is that exactly? Thank you in advance. "

1) coax in from ISP to moca device in
2) coax out ( may be marked tv on AT modem) to isp modem
3 ethernet to lan port on isp modem/router
Per his color codes.
every place he shows “moca adapter” is one of the actiontec moca modems.

" Im confused on how you got coax from ATTIC-2WAY (left side) to MOCA ADAPTER to MODEM COAX in? What type of adapter is that exactly? Thank you in advance. "
He's using a different brand/model MoCA adapter, one which includes a RF pass-through port for sub-MoCA frequencies. Lacking such a pass-through port, a MoCA 2.0-compatible 2-way splitter would be needed.

The Actiontec MoCA 2.5 adapter lacks an RF pass-through port, but one MoCA 2.5 adapter w/ a pass-through is the goCoax MoCA 2.5 model. (link) (The earlier bonded MoCA 2.0 Actiontec ECB6200 and old MoCA 1.1 ECB2500C had a pass-through; the standard MoCA 2.0 ECB6000 did not; so Actiontec seems to be bouncing around as to its value/necessity.)

Can it be - I do not need an actiontec adapter at the CABLE MODEM end, its a spectrum modem and they told me that it is MoCA ready.
Per your diagram, your (modem/gateway)'s coax feed is isolated from the coax plant on which your MoCA network is operating*, which is a good thing -- as more providers migrate to DOCSIS 3.1 *and* since you already have an available MoCA adapter to function as, effectively, your MoCA access point. (Also, it's my understanding that Spectrum doesn't allow enabling MoCA on their leased/managed gateways.)

* With no MoCA signals present on its coax segment, the "PoE" MoCA filter installed on the gateway's input port, as depicted in your diagram, isn't required -- unless there's some concern for the MoCA feature in the gateway being unknowingly enabled and exposing the gateway's LAN to neighbors.

Further, there's no value in the additional 2-way split in front of the modem, so you'd probably be best-served by directly connecting the incoming cable feed to the "Modem."

Last edited:
I just tried what I thought would work and it did not. Here is my layout, what did I do wrong? thanks folks in advance!!!
You're certain that there is NOT a "PoE" MoCA filter installed anywhere on your coax other than on the input of your "Spectrum Modem" device?

Also, is the "Spectrum Modem" in the diagram strictly a modem, or is it a combo modem/router (i.e. gateway)? And what is the "Spectrum WiFi" device in the loft? (Model numbers for each would be useful.)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!