What's new

multiple bands/radios/AP's --- same SSID

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

teknojnky

I have a question which I haven't yet really found a straight answer to, if there is even one.

When dealing with dual bands/radios and/or multiple AP's, do you want to use the same SSID (and of course the same associated encryption scheme/passphrases) or go with different SSID per band/radio/AP, and why?

Does using the same SSID help or hurt the network?

Obviously, from a client configuration point of view, its easier to setup one SSID/passphrase than multiple individual ones for each device, but if doing results in better network stability for the client I am all for it.

Does roaming work better with multiple configured SSID's or a single unified SSD? I assume this is probably more dependent on the client wlan hardware/driver, but I don't know for sure.

Also there is the issue of priority, if a 2.4 and 5g have about the same signal, how do you make sure the fastest is chosen, or is the client/windows smart enough to chose properly?

If there is an article or FAQ or something that delves in on this issue, please link it up.

If not, I humbly suggest it might be something worth investigating and putting on the SNB site.

Last edited:
When dealing with dual bands/radios and/or multiple AP's, do you want to use the same SSID (and of course the same associated encryption scheme/passphrases) or go with different SSID per band/radio/AP, and why?
If both radios are set to the same SSID, you won't be able to selectively connect to the desired band. If you don't care which band your client connects to (and you should, since 5 GHz range will be reduced), then you can give them the same SSID.

Does using the same SSID help or hurt the network?
Neither. It's just a way of being able to direct clients to a particular network, or in small networks, a particular AP.[/quote]

Does roaming work better with multiple configured SSID's or a single unified SSD? I assume this is probably more dependent on the client wlan hardware/driver, but I don't know for sure.
It all depends on the client. Most consumer wireless adapters are pretty "sticky" and will stay associated with an access point pretty much until there is no signal at all. Some client drivers allow you to adjust roaming stickyness / aggressiveness.

Also there is the issue of priority, if a 2.4 and 5g have about the same signal, how do you make sure the fastest is chosen, or is the client/windows smart enough to chose properly?
Clients are not smart about the band they select. The only way I know of to have a client connect to a particular band is to have different SSIDs and set the network connection priority in the client.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!