What's new

Multiple IPv6 Addresses in Systems Logs for older iPAD 4?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jksmurf

Hi

Per title and as attached, I have one iOS device (older iPad 4) which the System Logs shows habing multiple iPv6 Addresses.
No harm done or system slowdowns as far as I can tell, but it seems quite odd? Could not find anyone with a similar issue.

Whilst I can understand some devices might have 2 addresses (1 for Ethernet, oen for Wifi e.g.) , this many seems really odd.

Any idea how to get past this?

F/W on RT-AX86U is 388.1 beta 3; 2 AiMesh Nodes are on latest 386.7_2.

k.

Attachments

• ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX86U - IPv6 Network Information.jpg
    ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX86U - IPv6 Network Information.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 67
Asuswrt quirks with IPv6 enabled:

If you have "Private Wi-Fi Address" enabled, that might cause it ... oh I see @Tech9 just pointed you to that answer.

If you have "Private Wi-Fi Address" enabled, that might cause it ... oh I see @Tech9 just pointed you to that answer.

Thanks both (I like the hungry iPhone analogy), the thing is, as noted above it is an older iPAD.

I think the iOS stopped at 10.3.4 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad_(4th_generation)) and predates a version with the "Private Wi-Fi Address" option.
I already tried to turn that off before posting and there is no option for it.

k.

My phone (as test client) had no Private Wi-Fi address enabled. Two phones were connected to the router (side by side on my desk) and two laptops. One of the phones was happy with single IPv6 address, the other one had 32x addresses. I think it was looking for a girlfriend online. :)

@jksmurf, if you don't need IPv6 - just turn it off. It is disabled by default. Save yourself unnecessary trouble.

<snip> the other one had 32x addresses. I think it was looking for a girlfriend online. :)

:D. Yeah, mine too. Maybe we should introduce them.

OK, will consider turning IPv6 off, I am not sure I really need it (which probably means I don't).
It just seems odd that you have to do that to get past this issue (not really an issue, just an annoyance).

The main issues are possible IPv6 data leaks when using VPN, firmware with mixed IPv4 only and IPv4/IPv6 components, scripts with IPv4 support only, difficulties to tell which device has this specific IPv6 address, opening another attack surface with limited control and some implementation gray areas on home routers. According to someone who knows IPv6 what you see is a bug. I don't know how many other IPv6 related bugs are there in Asuswrt.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!