What's new

multiple private networks with access to each other?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tssgery

New Around Here
I thought that what I wanted to do should be easy, but I am having more difficulty than I imagined.

I have a home office, where I do quite a bit of work playing with virtualization technologies and need to start seperatng out my networks a bit more (so that I can run different dhcp and dns servers).

Ideally, I'd have three networks:
192.168.1.* for my home use (kids, wife, guests, etc)
192.168.2.* as a test bed for my work
192.168.3.* as a second testbed

I'd like all three networks to have access to all services on the other two, there is no desire/need to isolate any of them.

I was hoping for a tutorial on how to achieve this but have not found one.

I assume that I should acquire a couple more routers and connect their WAN ports to the LAN ports of my FiOS router. Each of these new routers would then manage one of the networks. The trouble comes in when I start thinking about how to allow access from any computer to any computer... I am assuming that the NAT translation on the new routers will make accessing systems... problematic.

I have attached a simple drawing of what I want... can anyone point me to a tutorial on setting this up?

Attachments

• network.jpg
    network.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 513
... can anyone point me to a tutorial on setting this up?

You are talking about three subnets:

You'll need a routing rules for each router, if Destination( subnet (x) ) route to gateway(192.168.x.100)
All can use the same DNS address, go with that of the Actiontec Address (192.168.100.100 in the example ) and say Google 8.8.8.8

Router 1: Gateway1 Address 192.168.1.100, DHCP 192.168.1.x addresses, routing rule for .2 and .3
Router 2: Gateway2 Address 192.168.2.100, DHCP 192.168.2.x addresses, routing rule for .1 and .3
Router 3: Gateway3 Address 192.168.3.100, DHCP 192.168.3.x addresses, routing rule for .1 and .2

Actiontec
: Gateway for routers, and address 192.168.100.100, DHCP 192.168.100.x each router will get a 192.168.100.x address

WINS addressing and UDP broadcast would be isolated to each subnet, unless you fiddle with the netmask ( 255.255.0.0 vs 255.255.255.0 )

Why three networks if you are not limiting access, subnets or vlans are used to segment network traffic, if all traffic everywhere, why do it? That is like saying I want to make a private phone call, but from a place where everyone can hear it.

Last edited: