What's new

Solved Multiple WAN IPs on AC-86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Plisken

New Around Here
Hello everyone.

I have a standard network, Ont box, a router and multiple devices connected to it. Because of issues with NAT and my consoles, I sought to get a second static IP from my ISP.

Today I received the details for the two static IPs. I wish to have the second one to solely be used on my consoles. I'm not doing anything fancy.

How do I achieve having my router have 1 of the public IPs and my other device having the second?

I'm using a Asus AC-86u on the stock firmware.

That router (with stock firmware) doesn't support multiple IP addresses on a single WAN interface. You could buy a switch and a second router, or buy a router that supports 1:1 NAT.

That router (with stock firmware) doesn't support multiple IP addresses on a single WAN interface. You could buy a switch and a second router, or buy a router that supports 1:1 NAT.
Hi Colin, thanks for the response.

Would the switch need to be managed or would a dumb one work (I have one laying around)?

As you're explaining it, I'd have the switch connected to the ONT with the following setup:

My router plugged into one port of my switch and set statically for my first IP.
My console plugged into another port on the switch set statically with the second IP.

My ISP didn't give me the gateway IP for the two IPs. I will have to get onto them.

Have I got that right? You mention a second router, what would that be for?

Yes that was what I was suggesting, with a dumb switch.

But I would wait for someone else to confirm definitively that this will work before buying anything as I've never tried it myself.

The second router was because you said you wanted one of the IPs to be used for your "consoles". So I assumed you wanted to share (NAT) the single IP to multiple devices. If you're only plugging in one device then I don't see the need for a second router.

Like I said, I've not tried this myself. But if you already have a switch available you might as well try it. Let us know how you get on.:)

But I would wait for someone else to confirm definitively that this will work before buying anything as I've never tried it myself.

The second router was because you said you wanted one of the IPs to be used for your "consoles". So I assumed you wanted to share (NAT) the single IP to multiple devices. If you're only plugging in one device then I don't see the need for a second router.

Like I said, I've not tried this myself. But if your already have a switch available you might as well try it. Let us know how you get on.:)
That's great, makes a lot of sense. I just have to get onto my ISP in the morning to get default gateway from them and I can test away :D. Thanks for the advice, I'll update as I go!

Like I said, I've not tried this myself. But if you already have a switch available you might as well try it. Let us know how you get on.:)

I rang my ISP today but they said they weren't aware of a Default Gateway for their WAN. I did find some posts talking about having to use PPPOE to pull a static IP.

So my config is:

ONT -> ISP Modem in Bridge Mode -> PS3
ONT -> ISP Modem in Bridge Mode -> Asus Router

I discovered to pull a static IP I needed to use PPPOE creds to get it. That worked on the PS3 and NAT 1 was obtained. Tested and verified that it solved my in game issue.

My router however was not able to pull a static IP using PPPOE. I ended up having to get a DHCP address. I was happy with this because I had internet for the house through the router and a direct path to the internet from the other port.

I think there is a setting I am missing on the router to get the second static IP working but all seems well.

Thanks for your answer, it really summed up everything I needed to do.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!