What's new

My new home LAN. Suggestion?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ExTrEmE79

New Around Here
Hi all!

I've to setup my new home lan and i like to have your suggestions about.

I've a home with two floors. At first my parents, ad ground me (new apartment).
Mine is already cabled with cat.6 utp cable with cat.6 kystone (T568B crimped), one rj45 in each room, two in the main room (living).

Now I need to buy all the hardware.
No places now to put a rack :( so.. wall mounted hardware near the box in the wall where all the cabling arrive. But it's not relevant.

I'm thinking to buy an APC UPS like Back-UPS ES 400Va to power all the Lan hardware; next a broadband modem with ethernet interface connected to a gigabit router WAN port (wireless or not).
Now i want to connect a managed (or a unmanaged if too expensive) gigabit switch to the first router port,like an used 24 port (or less) like linksys SRW2024 where all the rooms, printer, access point will be connected.
Another switch (unmanaged) connected to a second router port for the first floor of the home (where an access point, network printer, a desktop pc, will be connected). Then leave the other router ports free for future use.

Or, alternatively to the 24 port switch, an 8-12 port gigabit switch..

What do you think about?

Sorry for my english :p

You don't have to use separate switches for each floor.

You also don't have to have wall jacks live if you are not using them.
You can start with a small switch with enough ports to cover the jack locations that are in use. Then add another when you use more jacks.

For situations like this an unmanaged switch is usually simpler + cheaper.

UPS is a good idea.

If your router supports port based vlan (many cheap routers do these days), you can separate the upstairs network from the downstairs by connecting the upstairs switch to a different router port.

thiggings said:
You don't have to use separate switches for each floor.
You also don't have to have wall jacks live if you are not using them.

I need this solution (separated switches) because there's only a way to get cables in the top floor.. and there's other cables. So no space to pass 3 other cables (pc, ap,printer).. and expansion will be limited.

bliko said:
For situations like this an unmanaged switch is usually simpler + cheaper.
UPS is a good idea.
If your router supports port based vlan (many cheap routers do these days), you can separate the upstairs network from the downstairs by connecting the upstairs switch to a different router port.

Actually I've only an old zyxel 660hw router. I plan to buy all new hardware.
So.. your main suggestion is to buy an unmanaged gigabit switch for each floor?
On the top floor the use will be limited.. browsing the net, printing docs.. no more.
My floor will be used more deeply.. P2P, media streaming (i'm planning to buy a NAS with multimedia feature like Thecus M3800), IPCamera.. and so on.
So.. high throughput for the router and for one switch at least.

I'm thinking on..

- UPS APC Back-UPS ES 400Va
- Linksys WRT600 or WRT610n (more attractive look :D ).. but it have an internal broadband modem, or external one is required?
- 2x Linksys SLM2008 gigabit switch (i prefer gigabit with 12 ports.. but there isn't :( ) for each floor (or SLM2005 in the top floor)

- NAS Thecus M3800 (in the future.. no now :D )

What hardware alternatives can you suggest? (always on system)
Give me valid alternatives for you :)

I believe the WRT610n requires an external modem. Also if you do decide to go with the router, be sure to check out the dd-wrt firmware:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT?#File_Versions

Your choice of UPS should be fine, however if you also intend to connect your nas to it be sure to check that the combined power usage still fits. I would aim to have utilise the ups in the range of 50-75% of its full capacity.

With the switch remember that one port will be used for uplink...so downstairs there will be 7 available ports, and upstairs 4 available ports...this should still be fine for your use though.

With tha nas... I would stay well away from thecus... they are always so unstable and rough arround the edges... I can't say I've had a good experience with them.

How much are you willing to spend on your nas? Synology and Qnap are good brands, d-link's nas are also very easily hackable and with not 2 much work can have some very nice feature additions.

As for ipcameras...if you just want it for novelty then choose a cheap one... if not then axis has some good quality / reasonable priced cameras for home use.

I believe the WRT610n requires an external modem. Also if you do decide to go with the router, be sure to check out the dd-wrt firmware:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT?#File_Versions

ok. I'll check :)

Your choice of UPS should be fine, however if you also intend to connect your nas to it be sure to check that the combined power usage still fits. I would aim to have utilise the ups in the range of 50-75% of its full capacity.

Sure. I'm thinking to put an ups only for the networking equipment. A separated ups will be used for NAS and LCD TV to protect them.
So 400va dedicated only to networking.

With tha nas... I would stay well away from thecus... they are always so unstable and rough arround the edges... I can't say I've had a good experience with them.
How much are you willing to spend on your nas? Synology and Qnap are good brands, d-link's nas are also very easily hackable and with not 2 much work can have some very nice feature additions.

I've just read about QNAP and Synology.. but no one have hdmi output :( .. or there's a model with this feature?
Thecus not good Nas? ok.. I'll search for a better one :)
Any suggestion for a NAS with multimedia capabilities like the Thecus, with an HDMI output (to connect to av amplifier or TV)?

As for ipcameras...if you just want it for novelty then choose a cheap one... if not then axis has some good quality / reasonable priced cameras for home use.

Not professional use. I know axis.. but obviously they are professional equipment so they are expensive.
So i'll go for a cheaper one :)
I'll search for a good one.. or wait for a suggestion, obviously :p

Cheap IP camera = Panasonic BL-C1 ... it does the job however the fps is low and you won't have much luck identifying anyone in the dark lol.

For media playback you shoul not be looking at a nas. A good media playback device is:
http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinest...og&task=info&item_id=6&main_id=0&category_id=
It also doubles up as a very basic nas & BT download station.

Unless you are in a country with unstable power, a ups for your lcd tv is probably overkill. A surge protector will do the job of protecting it.

Cheap IP camera = Panasonic BL-C1 ... it does the job however the fps is low and you won't have much luck identifying anyone in the dark lol.

I'll search for a camera that can see something in the night..
I see some chinese options on ebay ;)

For media playback you shoul not be looking at a nas. A good media playback device is:
http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinest...og&task=info&item_id=6&main_id=0&category_id=
It also doubles up as a very basic nas & BT download station.

Interesting media player!

Ok.. i'll go for a good nas.. and a honest media player :)

Unless you are in a country with unstable power, a ups for your lcd tv is probably overkill. A surge protector will do the job of protecting it.

In my zone there's a little unstable power especially with bad weather.. so I want a very good protection for important hardware like LCD 46" (I like samsung 8 series) and NAS :)
But this is a plus :)

Some switch models to suggest? Or you think the linksys SLM2008 or SRW2008 it's a good option?

Thanks!

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!