What's new

My RT-AC68U seems to have TM-AC1900 firmware on it, I can't get updated firmware, is definitely not a TM-AC1900

• Thread starter Deleted member 74869
  • Start date
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D

Deleted member 74869

I have an RT-AC68U, I know it's not the T-Mobile version because I still have the box for it, definitely RT-AC68U, I can even supply pictures if necessary, says right on the back.
The Web interface says TM-AC1900, this is a problem, obviously.
When I try to update the firmware, it always fails. I click on search for updates, and it says there are no updates.
Firmware is reported as 3.0.0.4.376_3221-gd4afd2e
How do I get current firmware on it?

I have an RT-AC68U, I know it's not the T-Mobile version because I still have the box for it, definitely RT-AC68U, I can even supply pictures if necessary, says right on the back.
When I try to update the firmware, it always fails. I click on search for updates, and it says there are no updates.
Firmware is reported as 3.0.0.4.376_3221-gd4afd2e
How do I get current firmware on it?

The fact that you can't update the firmware confirms the device is indeed a TM-AC1900 , ASUS changed their code to prevent illegal use of their firmware intended for their products.

Where did you acquire the router from?

The fact that you can't update the firmware confirms the device is indeed a TM-AC1900 , ASUS changed their code to prevent illegal use of their firmware intended for their products.

Where did you acquire the router from?

I have the box, I purchased it from a Canada Computers location in Waterloo Ontario Canada.
Serial GBIX0H001079
Shows up as a genuine RT-AC68U on ASUS warranty checker
There are no T-Mobile markings or stickers on it at all.

If it were a genuine Asus model you need to flash an intermediate firmware version before the final one:

I tried the firmware you suggested and it failed to update.

"Firmware upgrade unsuccessfully. It may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again."

Also, SSH and Telnet are disabled. I tried enabling using the exploit I saw about making it visible using the browser editor, but this did not work/apply. I modified the code to make it visible, clicked apply, but still could not use telnet to connect to it.

I have the box, I purchased it from a Canada Computers location in Waterloo Ontario Canada.
Serial GBIX0H001079
Shows up as a genuine RT-AC68U on ASUS warranty checker
There are no T-Mobile markings or stickers on it at all.

If you didn't buy it to play with, then I would return it. Otherwise, play on.

OE

That's very strange. I suggest that you try to upload that firmware I pointed you to in Recovery Mode.

I can't enter recovery mode. I tried pressing the reset button but it never flashes slowly. I have held the button for well over a minute. I am following the procedure where the power is disconnected, the reset button (NOT the power button) is pressed, and then plugging in the power. I have also tried every variation of this with the buttons on the side, the power button instead of the power cable being plugged in. This also includes pressing the WPS button, letting it go, pressing the reset button while it's rebooting from using the WPS button, all the things. Zero success.

Even more strange. Even if it were flashed with T Mobile firmware, or any other firmware, you should still be able to get into rescue mode.

When you bought it was it brand new in a sealed box? I'm wondering whether it was a returned unit that somebody had messed around with.

Question: When you factory reset this router what is it's default IP address? Is it 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.29.1?

It was a sealed box when I bought it. I was working on it for about 6 hours (until 3 in the morning) before I gave up. I at least can get it working the way I had it before, but I can't seem to make any firmware updates which would be nice. I'm not in a position to go buy a new router for a long while and I bought this model because of its robustness and features but I'm always paranoid of vulnerabilities (perhaps unjustly so as I've had no issues for years).

Question: When you factory reset this router what is it's default IP address? Is it 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.29.1?
192.168.29.1 is what comes up. I assume the only way (or most common) to factory reset is using the web interface, correct?

192.168.29.1 is what comes up.
It was a sealed box when I bought it.
OK so that is indeed the T Mobile default address so does seem to confirm that it has a T Mobile boot loader. Sounds like someone at Asus messed up when it was manufactured.

To get it back to Asus firmware you will have to re-flash the correct CFE. Instructions on how to do that are against this forum's rules, but there are other sites that have those. The first step is to downgrade your firmware to 3.0.0.4_376_1703-g0ffdbba.trx which enables SSH access to the router. Good luck.

OK so that is indeed the T Mobile default address so does seem to confirm that it has a T Mobile boot loader. Sounds like someone at Asus messed up when it was manufactured.

To get it back to Asus firmware you will have to re-flash the correct CFE. Instructions on how to do that are against this forum's rules, but there are other sites that have those. The first step is to downgrade your firmware to 3.0.0.4_376_1703-g0ffdbba.trx which enables SSH access to the router. Good luck.

I've seen these instructions. I tried loading 1703 on it, also with a failure report. I was able to get to the CFE bootloader to upload the firmware and it failed there too. I think I'm stuck. This all came about because I'm studying for my Security+ exam and in the study notes there was an indication to upgrade your firmware. So I started checking all my devices and started updates. This one however proved tricky. I never bothered looking before just recently.

"I was able to get to the CFE bootloader to upload the firmware and it failed there too." If by that you mean the CFE miniWeb Server then it's in rescue mode. I've seen other posts where people have got this point but the router wouldn't accept the uploaded firmware. AFAICT there was no resolution.

Yes, the CFE miniWeb Server. I suppose I got there even though it wasn't showing the slow flashing blue light on the front. If I'm not getting the slow flashing blue light it might take several reboots to get there. If I can get there again I will try to use the 1703 again and a couple others that I am seeing on the forums here. If that fails, I heard it's possible to use a direct serial connection to make it work. I don't have any comfort in doing that but I might be able to ask a friend at work who has more skill in that. It's out of warranty so I can't go asking ASUS to fix it for me.

Try the warranty route anyway, you have a strange dilemma for a router sold for the Canadian market sporting a US-only market product firmware.

You have a convincing argument and just might be able to make them bend on this one. Won't hurt to try (other than accepting that if you succeed, you may end up with a refurb unit)

Try the warranty route anyway, you have a strange dilemma for a router sold for the Canadian market sporting a US-only market product firmware.

You have a convincing argument and just might be able to make them bend on this one. Won't hurt to try (other than accepting that if you succeed, you may end up with a refurb unit)

From here it looks like the OP is trying to flash RT-AC68U firmware onto a TM-AC1900 router. :rolleyes:

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!