What's new

N66U flashing Tomato Shibby

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

poisonborz

New Around Here
Hola,
I hope this is the right thread to post: I recently tried to flash my N66U with Shibby, not too much luck :(
I've tried this AIO version: http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26RT-N/build5x-123-EN/Asus RT-N66u 64k/
I turned on rescue mode, uploaded the file, the flasher displayed Wait for reboot, 10s later the device seemed to reboot (flashing all lights, then power light remained on) but the admin interface couldn't be reached.
I waited several hours hoping it to be a work in progress, but the problem remained. Several tries, same result... What could be the problem?

Tried holding down the reset button until the power light flashes then release the button?

Or-power off router then hold down wps button while powering on router until power light flashes.

This will clear nvram and reset the router to defaults.

Asus recommended the reset button method.

Here are some recent Tomato experiences for reference:
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=19046
Hard reset and manual configure after changing firmware branches is mandatory (stock vs Tomato, Shibby vs RAF, Merlin vs any other) to avoid bad operation due to incompatible settings.

Hard reset and manual configure is often mandatory when new firmware of the same branch contains updated drivers (the reset requirement should be written in the release notes).

A firmware configuration backup file ONLY works safe with exact the firmware branch and version it was made with.

Last edited:
sorry but merlin is far better than tomato or ddwrt.. i suggest u use merlin

This is a matter of opinion and perspective. For reasons that are not my choice, I am currently using the factory firmware .3602. I would prefer Merlin to that but I found that TomatoUSB by Shibby was much better suited to the way I use my router. To categorically claim that one is "better" than the other(s) is silly...apples are "better" than oranges.

All current Tomato branches are based on the original Tomato which is no longer supported by the author.
The different Tomato branches have their specific features.
Tomato was branched from HyperWRT. HyperWRT in turn was branched of the Linksys stock firmware GPL code for the WRT54G series router. The WRT54G series was the most popular open source Linux based router for many years (the WRT54GL is still sold).

AsusWRT (the stock firmware) is originally a branch of Tomato.

AsusWRT-Merlin firmware is a direct branch of the latest Asus GPL code with enhancements and additional features.

DD-WRT is a generic firmware with specific versions for many routers, rich of numerous features and a nice user interface. Also DD-WRT has by now different branches. Most difficult is to find the most suitable build version (they advice different builds for different specific features, in other words the latest version is not the best for everyone). Study of the support site is a must before using DD-WRT.

Firmware choice is a matter of taste and your own requirements.
Look for continuous support with bug fixes and security fixes, and check that firmware builds keep pace with security upgrades of "building blocks" like SSL.

All current Tomato branches are based on the original Tomato which is no longer supported by the author.
The different Tomato branches have their specific features.
Tomato was branched from HyperWRT. HyperWRT in turn was branched of the Linksys stock firmware GPL code for the WRT54G series router. The WRT54G series was the most popular open source Linux based router for many years (the WRT54GL is still sold).

AsusWRT (the stock firmware) is originally a branch of Tomato.

AsusWRT-Merlin firmware is a direct branch of the latest Asus GPL code with enhancements and additional features.

DD-WRT is a generic firmware with specific versions for many routers, rich of numerous features and a nice user interface. Also DD-WRT has by now different branches. Most difficult is to find the most suitable build version (they advice different builds for different specific features, in other words the latest version is not the best for everyone). Study of the support site is a must before using DD-WRT.

Firmware choice is a matter of taste and your own requirements.
Look for continuous support with bug fixes and security fixes, and check that firmware builds keep pace with security upgrades of "building blocks" like SSL.

Actually, Tomato ARM by Shibby is a port off of the Asus firmwares (directly from Shibby) which was a port off of the original Tomato. One giant circle, lol! :p