What's new

NAS setup for small "virtual" office

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dylane

Occasional Visitor
I work for a small company where everyone works remotely from different parts of the country. I'm looking to create a shared file server using 2 or 3 NASes that would be located in different locations. The original idea was that each NAS would sync bidirectionally with each other, and the individual clients would connect with whichever NAS was closest to them. But the more I read the more it looks like bidirectional sync is not really supported by anyone (but the info I've found has all been at least a couple years old, so maybe that's not true anymore?) If bidirectional sync isn't realistic, does it make sense to set one NAS as a master and have all the clients connect to that, and then mirror that NAS to the other locations?

My worry with that is that the clients that are connecting from a different location would see sluggish response when navigating the folder structure of the NAS, and it is very important that the speed not be noticeably different than browsing local files. Ideally I'd like to get something setup that works like how OneDrive used to work, where you could see the entire folder structure on the client, but choose which folders were synced for offline use and which ones were available in the cloud only. Is this possible with the Synology or QNAP clients?

Am I thinking about this correctly? The only real goal is to have fast and easy access to all of our company files from anywhere in the world, have good conflict management or collaboration tools (as we will almost certainly have multiple users working on the same file at the same time at some point) and have it all be on company owned hardware. I have very little experience with NAS beyond a single drive Buffalo unit I've used for personal use for a few years, so I'm not sure if I'm expecting too much from the more advanced units. Our data needs are very, very limited (easily less than 100GB, and most of that is non-essential archives. Active files would be less than 10GB)

Have you looked at OwnCloud (or the forked NextCloud)?

Another option might be something scaled up from your OneDrive, and that would be Office365...

A NAS would come in handy to have a local backup of that cloud...

(little tip here - along with share docs, have you looked at some collaboration platforms like Slack?)

Have you looked at OwnCloud (or the forked NextCloud)?

Another option might be something scaled up from your OneDrive, and that would be Office365...

A NAS would come in handy to have a local backup of that cloud...

(little tip here - along with share docs, have you looked at some collaboration platforms like Slack?)

I've looked at OwnCloud a little bit, and that was originally the direction I thought we were going to go, but a consultant we spoke with seemed to think it wasn't necessary and that we'd only need that if we wanted CardDAV or CalDAV functionality, which we don't need since we use an Office365 Exchange plan (I'm interested in the CardDav for management of personal contacts and keeping them separate from business...but that's another topic).

So I'm definitely interested in OwnCloud and will do some more research on it (as well as NextCloud which I haven't heard of). If we decide to go down that route is there anything in particular to look for in a NAS? I was looking at the QNAP wiki for OwnCloud and it said that (as of June 2016) none of the QNAP models support the latest version (V9) of OwnCloud. I haven't looked closely at Synology to see if it is the same story for them.

I've heard of Slack but haven't looked that closely at them, will have to take a look. I know Microsoft just came out with a similar platform recently that I think is supposed to go to all Office365 customers, so I've been planning to check that out as well. Thanks for the tip.