What's new

Need a new router, advice would be great

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OBENZ

Regular Contributor
Hi,
I have an ac86u which is great but I have 2 bedrooms that out of reach even if I only live in a 160m2 apartment for some reason the doors or walls are blocking my wifi so I’m using powerlines to get my devices connected which is not ideal as the actual throughput is weak, 1200mbps advertised speed is translated to 120-200. I need a solution, should I get a mesh router like the linksys ax ones or an AX86 to complement my existing set up and cover more range ?or the ax88 pro for that matter

I would recommend the RT-AX88U Pro today. The three-plus-year-old RT-AX86U (or even the still hardware-crippled RT-AX86U Pro) are not worth buying today (and the older model won't receive 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware (afaik), going forward.

Note that the newest AX class routers may exhibit greatly enhanced WiFi performance over the once-king of AC class routers, the RT-AC86U. See the link below to see how much more performance AX class hardware offers (even entry-level AX class hardware, in this case).

Note that even though the customer wanted 2x RT-AX68Us, a single example greatly outshone the once venerable RT-AC86U in that environment. For not only throughput but range too.

The main point of the above being do not automatically assume that you will need to set up the new network in AiMesh. Proceed with the single new main router and slowly proceed from there.

A single 2.5GbE Port which you can use for either WAN or LAN.

Not both.

And at prices equal to the model I suggested or higher!

I have an ac86u which is great but I have 2 bedrooms that out of reach even if I only live in a 160m2 apartment

If RT-AC86U can't do the job no other single router will be much better. RT-AC86U has excellent range comparable to much newer RT-AX86U. Get one RT-AX86U Pro and run AiMesh with your existing RT-AC86U as node. Wireless AiMesh will cut the throughput to node attached clients in half. This is how it works on dual-band routers. The node as a Repeater doing retransmissions (single radio serving both the backhaul and the clients). Avoid RT-AX68U (router with issues, discontinued, replaced by different models already) and don't overpay for something you don't need (expensive tri-band models).

A single 2.5GbE Port which you can use for either WAN or LAN.

this is probably a good rant thread over in the router sub-forum, as too many vendors have done this - a single 2.5 port is kind of useless - two is twice as nice...

All ports supporting 2.5 would be great, but having two - one WAN and one LAN, is a practical solution...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!