What's new

Need ADSL2+ modem 6km from exchange

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

crash486

Occasional Visitor
Hi, as the title suggests I'm a long way from the exchange. Currently using a Billion 7700N as a modem in bridge mode.
Stats as follows.

SNR (down/up 0.1dB) : 148 / 70
Attenuation (down/up 0.1dB) : 615 / 315
Attainable rate (kbps) : 1504 / 704
+++
Rate (down / up kbps) : 1344 / 480

No NBN till at least 2020 and satellite, while available, wont cut it for work vpn or kids game ping requirements. So I'm wondering if a newer modem will help in anyway and if so what modem that might be.

Thinking maybe a TP-Link Archer VR400.
Thoughts and advice please.

not so much. Your best modem choice is a modem that uses the same chip as your exchange. If the chip used in the exchange is qualcomm, than your modem choice should have a qualcomm modem.

Other choices can be done, for instance setting up a point to point directional wifi using 2 APs and a dish to knock off some Kilometers between you and the exchange but this involves asking the owner of a seperate building/land to host your wifi AP, modem and phone line to that guy's place.

your SnR is good though.

Are you sure your package isnt 1.3Mb/s down and .5Mb/s up? Because your rate and attainable rate are different, very different for the upload.

not so much. Your best modem choice is a modem that uses the same chip as your exchange. If the chip used in the exchange is qualcomm, than your modem choice should have a qualcomm modem.

Other choices can be done, for instance setting up a point to point directional wifi using 2 APs and a dish to knock off some Kilometers between you and the exchange but this involves asking the owner of a seperate building/land to host your wifi AP, modem and phone line to that guy's place.

your SnR is good though.

Are you sure your package isnt 1.3Mb/s down and .5Mb/s up? Because your rate and attainable rate are different, very different for the upload.
I'm paying for adsl2+ which is supposed to be faster. Before a tree took out the phone line last year it was 20% better. Telstra left the line down, laying across the road for 4 days with traffic driving over it. They just hauled it up and reconnected it so I imagine the copper is not in great nick. When I questioned them they said I get above the legal minimum (something around 800kbps) so they would not be replacing the section. <end rant>
Ah well trapped in regional oz broadband wasteland I guess.

crash486

I'm paying for adsl2+ which is supposed to be faster. Before a tree took out the phone line last year it was 20% better. Telstra left the line down, laying across the road for 4 days with traffic driving over it. They just hauled it up and reconnected it so I imagine the copper is not in great nick. When I questioned them they said I get above the legal minimum (something around 800kbps) so they would not be replacing the section. <end rant>
Ah well trapped in regional oz broadband wasteland I guess.

crash486
just do the directional wifi i mentioned. Find somewhere that is willing to host your hardware and get the ISP to connect to it. latency and speed will be much much better.

just do the directional wifi i mentioned. Find somewhere that is willing to host your hardware and get the ISP to connect to it. latency and speed will be much much better.
So the street lost internet 4 weeks ago. Telstra tech started at the end of the street and by the time he got to me there were no working pairs left in the cable.
He spent 4 hours trying to patch things and eventually ran 70+ metres of cable from pole to pole till there was a working pair.
Speed up to 2Mb/s. Reckons if the whole line was fixed I could get 3.5 to 4.
Wonder how long the temp line will be in place.

crash486

So the street lost internet 4 weeks ago. Telstra tech started at the end of the street and by the time he got to me there were no working pairs left in the cable.
He spent 4 hours trying to patch things and eventually ran 70+ metres of cable from pole to pole till there was a working pair.
Speed up to 2Mb/s. Reckons if the whole line was fixed I could get 3.5 to 4.
Wonder how long the temp line will be in place.

crash486
that is very slow by todays standards, thats why i recommended directional wifi as they have claims up to 15km if you can find somewhere with clear line of sight. It also means requiring another line at the destination as well. VDSL should've been used instead of ADSL, im guessing your ISP just recycled cables and old hardware and installed them at your street as 4Mb/s at 70+meters is basically ADSL 1 speeds. ADSL 2 would do 24Mb/s and VDSL would do 80Mb/s with up to 300Mb/s if using the new VDSL2 or newer standard.

Unfortunately no line of sight to anyone available so we continue to be on the wrong side of the digital divide. :-(

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!