What's new

Need an AiMesh (2nd router) recommendation.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mine, because I coated one of the APs in lemon juice and sugar. Your’s had a smoky BBQ flavour recently, as far as I remember.

You're projecting. You are the only one to suggest that my 86U might have experienced excessive heat. I don't think heat was the issue since it runs cool to the touch... cooler than my old N66U that still works... that thing ran noticeably hotter.

So, just sour.

OE

The “curry” in WiFi you mean?

I used to build high-end audio systems and long range radio communication equipment, both analogue and digital, so just wanted to know what I was missing through the years.

No, more like balanced/open, transparent and inviting sound vs. feel that bass! :p

No, more like balanced/open, transparent and inviting sound vs. feel that bass! :p

Waiting impatiently to see your “Improving WiFi flavour” step-by-step guide. Should be applied right after Nuclear Reset and M&M candy, I think. :)

Don't need to wait for that. :)

Use the router as it was designed for. Easy. ;)

If it doesn't work as designed, getting a product that more closely matches your needs is usually a faster 'fix' than experimenting with leads that attenuate the signal in non-linear ways and/or connecting that to external antennae that the router/RF circuits are not expecting.

experimenting with leads that attenuate the signal in non-linear ways

Stop, stop, please. Better stick to the flavor theory, it was more entertaining.

Use the router as it was designed for. Easy. ;)

Indeed...

amtm, Diversion + Entware + pixelserv-tls, Skynet, YazFi, scribe, connmon, ntpMerlin, scMerlin, uiDivStats, uiScribe, Unbound, disk checker, on Ext4 w/journaling and a 2GB swap file

Last edited:
Exactly; 'as designed'. RMerlin made for Asus routers and scripts made to be supported on RMerlin. Great combination.

You can't seem to get the hang of analogies, maybe you can stop? :oops::p

Wifi tweaks are as reasonable as other thing made in software!

You can do a lot improvements with antennas, especially in 2.4GHz range.
Not primarily to increase signal level but to reduce noise from neighbours.
Especially for clients or repeaters far away with much surrounding wifi.
E.g. you can use 9 or 12dbi antennas to reduce noise from above and below and concentrate signal on your floor.
Or use a directional antenna, you might get only little better signal strength (what you gain is mostly lost by 1m cable), but with 60-70db well enough for stable connection.
While with standard antenna you wont see your SSID because your neigbours come in with same or even much stronger signals, using directional antennas it will lower others by lets say 20db and now your wifi signal by far is remaining as the strongest.

While with standard antenna

In support of what @Grisu says, the standard supplied antennae are not the best in every case. They are universal antennae, made to work acceptable on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, from 2401MHz all the way to 5815MHz. If I know what exactly frequency I need to use, what's the distance to the client, what direction this client is in, etc. I'm pretty sure I can make by hand a better performing antennae than the ASUS supplied ones for my specific case. It's a matter of calculations. There is no problem for people who know what they are doing to experiment.

Wifi foil :p
Nothing I would recommend, but however it really may help.
There are many variants for DIY (just ignore speech):

Take it what it is, just fun - nothing to respond to please!

PS: I better should have gone to bed instead of posting this ...

Last edited:
No, no... I had something completely different in mind, with more scientific approach.

mini-pcb-image.jpg

This type of antenna, if calculated properly, will be more effective than the sticks and spider legs consumer routers come with. The image is just an example. If you've seen high quality access points inside, they come with something similar, printed or metal parts with strange looking shapes. Consumer routers need to have attractive appearance though and 4-6 of these won't look good. Spider legs are better for the business.

145635.jpg

If I had to make something that is both a wifi antenna as well as a pie plate in order to have wifi working I think I'd seriously consider hard wiring.

It would be weird to walk around with a hardwired phone or a tablet. I'm just trying to show some people in this discussion that ASUS provided antennas are more appearance design than some king of fine tuned engineered piece or equipment, specially designed to work with specific radio module, etc. In most cases it's just a standard dipole or a printed strip inside a fancy looking plastic. On the picture below is a fine engineered WiFi antenna. Doesn't look "gamers" enough, though.

Ruckus-Array.jpg

Looks like very well done, but who shall by it (out of customers) if they cant see 8 spider like antennas standing up?
What they dont see probably doesnt exist and at least cant be good.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!