What's new

need help choosing router for 2gb internet.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

redbeard916

Occasional Visitor
Hello i need help choosing a stable, secure, good with ipv6 router for future proofing. I was looking at some mikrotik and some ubiquiti but they are pricey and will require spf+ modules, thats another 60 bucks on top of the $3-500 price, and i have to add an access point for wifi so it'll be costly already. I need something that will accept 2gb internet from the modem and have at least one lan output that is 2.5gb or higher. seems like an impossible find.

Hello i need help choosing a stable, secure, good with ipv6 router for future proofing. I was looking at some mikrotik and some ubiquiti but they are pricey and will require spf+ modules, thats another 60 bucks on top of the $3-500 price, and i have to add an access point for wifi so it'll be costly already. I need something that will accept 2gb internet from the modem and have at least one lan output that is 2.5gb or higher. seems like an impossible find.

If you want to do it right and be "future proof" then the separate router and AP is a better route. That being said you can do a mini PC with PFSense or OpnSense and an AP for less than those router brands and they will have higher performance too.

If you want an AIO router then Asus has several with 2 multigig ports and other brands do as well. 2G wired is doable with AIO, assuming you don't need VPN as that will be a fraction of that.

Wifi obviously is harder to hit 2G, while most modern wifi routers are theoretically capable your clients likely won't be.

Keep in mind "future proof" in networking is about 2-3 years max timeframe.

thanks for the reply. seems like building one could take some effort. are the mikrotik rb5009 any good? was going to get it, an access point, and a sfp+ module.

thanks for the reply. seems like building one could take some effort. are the mikrotik rb5009 any good? was going to get it, an access point, and a sfp+ module.

I don't have any experience with the microtiks, they generally are well reviewed but have a learning curve. I've used ubiquiti and been happy with it. The TP-Link Omada stuff is generally well reviewed too and may give the best bang for the buck.

However you can buy prebuilt mini PCs starting in the mid $100 range and up and install PFSense or OpnSense on them and pair with the VLAN aware AP of your choice. A 10G unit with built in wifi ability was posted in here today starting at $200, I believe it was @sfx2000 that posted it. AMD or Intel (x86 based) PCs are pretty unbeatable for the price if you want to be able to do encryption (VPN) or a lot of routing and firewall. 2.5G switches are coming down in price but if you get a PC that can fit a 4 port multigig card that may be all you need.

for 2Gbit Internet it is better to look for miniPC solution OPNsense have official shop (showing info with basic parameters like firewall/ IPsec VPN max speed) for example
https://shop.opnsense.com/product-categorie/hardware-appliances/ you can find pages top OPNsense/ pfSense Hardware in 2023 etc.

there are interested miniPC/routers at Amazon or AliExpress with i226 2.5Gbit network card.

for example for wi-fi AP I am still using Asus RT-AC68U and it is good enought :)