What's new

Need help in setting up DDNS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

medwatt

Regular Contributor
I sometimes find myself going to my parent's house to make some changes on their router (AC66U_B1). It would be much easier if I could access the web interface from my place. The problem is their ISP provide them with a private IP (10.X.X.X). Is there something I can do to still get access from outside their network >

I sometimes find myself going to my parent's house to make some changes on their router (AC66U_B1). It would be much easier if I could access the web interface from my place. The problem is their ISP provide them with a private IP (10.X.X.X). Is there something I can do to still get access from outside their network >
Yes, setup the OVPN server with access to both WAN and LAN, and login to your webui that way.

Having working DDNS would simplify the OVPN usage.

I tried using DDNS just now for the first time.
  • WAN > DDNS > DDNS Service
  • Ignore Webui SSL Certificate
  • Enable the DDNS Client > Yes
  • Method to retrieve WAN IP > Internal
  • Host Name > {Choose name with hopes no one else has already claimed it}
  • Forced update interval (in days) > {I left at default of 21 days}
  • Apply
At this point I was logged out of the GUI
  • After reauthenticating, it turns out it was successful
  • It will take several minutes before your hostname is available from the Asus DNS domain
  • I updated the IPSec configuration on my Apple devices to use the new hostname.asuscomm.com rather than my WAN IP address
  • It works

I tried using DDNS just now for the first time.
  • WAN > DDNS > DDNS Service
  • Ignore Webui SSL Certificate
  • Enable the DDNS Client > Yes
  • Method to retrieve WAN IP > Internal
  • Host Name > {Choose name with hopes no one else has already claimed it}
  • Forced update interval (in days) > {I left at default of 21 days}
  • Apply
At this point I was logged out of the GUI
  • After reauthenticating, it turns out it was successful
  • It will take several minutes before your hostname is available from the Asus DNS domain
  • I updated the IPSec configuration on my Apple devices to use the new hostname.asuscomm.com rather than my WAN IP address
  • It works
But I already mentioned the ISP gives me a private IP, not a public IP.

If in fact the WAN IP of the AC66U_B1 is a private 10 address, then I do not know of a way around this.

That would also throw a wrench into anything that used UPnP port forwarding like game consoles.

Please can you give me more details on how to go about this, if you don't mind, as I'm new to this.
First setup DDNS on the server router. Then go into VPN tab and into Server tab. You will see something like this:
Then click on the general dropdown and start setting up your Server. This is an example I got from someone here: ASUS Wireless Router RT AC3100   VPN Server2.png

Attachments

• ASUS Wireless Router RT AC3100   VPN Server.png
    ASUS Wireless Router RT AC3100 VPN Server.png
    93.6 KB · Views: 270
Set up Teamviewer on a PC inside the LAN. Would be a good idea to have a Teamviewer account and know the connection-login info. You should be able to connect from anywhere do remote control and monitor the router.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!