What's new

Need help with Asus RT-N66U (file-server+dlna+torrent)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Slaider

New Around Here
Hello everybody!
I use my Asus with Asuswrt-Merlin and found it`s great work with any problems, but...
A little time ago I decided to plug in HDD (5Tb) and make my Asus work not only as router but also like file-server+dlna+torrent client.
1. My first stuck is - I can`t do any folder depth more then 2
Example: /mnt/Seagate_Expansion_Drive/Media/Video/Films/New
/Documental
/Downloaded
/Best​
All I can reach is /mnt/Seagate_Expansion_Drive/Media/ - and no any deeper.

Can someone help me with that?
May be there`s some direct link to config file where I can make my paths correctly? Or any other way
I would be very grateful
2. Want to hear (read) your advice about torrent client. I've read on various discussion forums where people are advised not to use the built-in option, but use alternative called "Transmission"
What can you tell me, which client is better?
(not more than 20 torrents, mostly)
3. I want to have some kind of file-server for me and my family. For all of that I want to create different folders like "media, work, private, family, kids" and restrict access from different devices.
Like guests can see new movies and family photos, kids can see (only read access) family photos and cartoons, my wife can see some private folders and I can see and modify all of content.
Whether it is suitable for built-in features or need to use something else (like Entware)? If other - can you give some docs to read or help with configure?
P.S.I have installed micro-sd card in built-in card reader :)

1) The Samba sharing on the router is very simplistic and non-standard. You can only create shared folders at the top level of your HDD, i.e.

/mnt/Seagate_Expansion_Drive/Films-New
/Films-Documental
/Films-Downloaded
/Films-Best​

3) Access restrictions are done through the routers web interface. You assign permissions for each share based on the Windows username, not the device.

If you need more flexibility then you would be better off buying a NAS.