What's new

Need help with choosing an AiMesh router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

forte012

New Around Here
Hey everyone!

I am currently using the RT-AC5300 for 4 years now but I have an issue with the range.

From the router to my room, there are 2 walls and the network or WiFi strength is quite bad.

I am thinking of getting another ASUS router to setup as a mesh/node.

Any recommendations?

I would recommend either an RT-AC86U or an RT-AX88U to test individually (leave the current RT-AC5300 off while testing each new router you are considering) with a properly installed RMerlin firmware 384.19_0 on them. The model you choose depends on the budget, of course. When testing, either of these routers will replace the RT-AC5300 and be the main router for your network.

If the range/throughput is still found lacking (make sure you test with a new SSID for both bands too, including fixed Control Channels), then add the RT-AC5300 as an AiMesh node or an AP. Wired connection is highly preferred.

What are your ISP speeds? What expectations do you have and with what client devices at the furthest reaches of the home?

Keep us updated on which course of action you will pursue and we can help make that transition as smooth as possible for you.

Hi L&LD!

At the moment, I do not have any additional routers to try out on hand so I am unable to test it :(

Budget wise I am looking at around 250 SGD because I will only use the additional router as a mesh/node.

Currently the ROG Rapture GT-AC2900 and RT-AC86U is selling for 250 SGD while a used AC5300 is around 180-200 SGD.

The speed on my networks are listed below:

2.4GHz network is around 100-200 for download and 200+ for upload

5GHz network 1 is 300.03 Mbps for download and 518.65 Mbps for upload

5GHz network 2 is 340.74 Mbps for download and 459.87 Mbps for upload
My expectation is just to blanket my apartment with a good WiFi coverage using a router as a mesh/node because if I were to install a data point, I will need to renovate my apartment which will be too costly o_O

Side Question
I've just installed the Merlin firmware on my AC5300 today(after 4 years) and I am kinda lost on what to do after installing it. I have no knowledge on any of the IT stuff so after reading some posts and watching some videos on the VPNs, scripts and etc, I am still lost.

Do I need to do anything else after installing the Merlin firmware?

An apartment? How many SqFt is that? A single router should be easily able to cover that for you.

After flashing the RMerlin firmware on it, you will want to do a full reset to factory defaults and then minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP.

The M&M Config and some of the other links below will be of use to set up the router properly.

Yup!

Around 1,600 sq ft. But it is an old apartment hence the data point is located at the entrance. The bedrooms are all the way at the end of the apartment with a few walls in between.

I am able to get a signal from the 2.4GHz but it is very bad. I am unable to attend online classes since the network strength is low.

Side question
So after installing the RMerlin firmware on my AC5300, I should do a full reset on it? Is there any guide on what is the recommended setting or configuration as well?

Sorry to bombard so many question but I have no knowledge on this that's why o_O

Look again at the link I posted above and check out the M&M Config guide for the recommended suggestions.

Hey L&LD,

I am unable to proceed with these steps.

Where can I find media server and the rest on the asus router website?

• Disable media server.
  • Disable network share.
  • Disable NFSD.
  • Disable FTP.
  • Change device name (if needed), set Force as Master Browser and indicate the Work Group name (these steps are optional for some home users).
  • Disable WPS.
  • Disable WDS.
  • Uncheck Xbox and B/G protection (Both bands).
  • Wireless Mode: Auto (default).
  • Control Channel: set manually after testing each channel.
  • Preamble Type: Short.
  • Spanning Tree Protocol: Disabled.
  • IPv6: Disabled.
  • Enable DoS protection: Disabled.
  • Set time zone to your area.
  • Format JFFS partition at next boot: Yes.

So back to the main topic. Sorry got side tracked.

Based on my budget and the 3 routers available, which one should I get as a mesh/node?

Hi L&LD!

At the moment, I do not have any additional routers to try out on hand so I am unable to test it :(

Budget wise I am looking at around 250 SGD because I will only use the additional router as a mesh/node.

Currently the ROG Rapture GT-AC2900 and RT-AC86U is selling for 250 SGD while a used AC5300 is around 180-200 SGD.

The speed on my networks are listed below:

2.4GHz network is around 100-200 for download and 200+ for upload

5GHz network 1 is 300.03 Mbps for download and 518.65 Mbps for upload

5GHz network 2 is 340.74 Mbps for download and 459.87 Mbps for upload
My expectation is just to blanket my apartment with a good WiFi coverage using a router as a mesh/node because if I were to install a data point, I will need to renovate my apartment which will be too costly o_O

Side Question
I've just installed the Merlin firmware on my AC5300 today(after 4 years) and I am kinda lost on what to do after installing it. I have no knowledge on any of the IT stuff so after reading some posts and watching some videos on the VPNs, scripts and etc, I am still lost.

Do I need to do anything else after installing the Merlin firmware?

Hey OzarkEdge,

I was thinking which router to get based on this.

"Currently the ROG Rapture GT-AC2900 and RT-AC86U is selling for 250 SGD while a used AC5300 is around 180-200 SGD."

Any idea which one will be good to use as a mesh/node?

Hey OzarkEdge,

I was thinking which router to get based on this.

"Currently the ROG Rapture GT-AC2900 and RT-AC86U is selling for 250 SGD while a used AC5300 is around 180-200 SGD."

Any idea which one will be good to use as a mesh/node?

Yes... if you apply your spec and @L&LD 's advice, you are left with the RT-AC86U as root node. Or use it as a remote node, if you want, but it will make the better root node and may be the only node required in your space.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!