What's new

Need low cost router for 35 computers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

asiajason

New Around Here
I need a low cost router that will handle between 6-35 computers - not usually simultaneously, reliably, with the router allowing (but us not likely needing) near-80-100m throughput (we just got our 100mb fiber so the boss wants to see a speedtest working near that!). Most of the time, only 6-10 computers will be doing light internet work. We are a school, so a lab of 20 computers comes online from time to time, that might stress the network in brief spurts (ie, "ok everyone, go to apple.com" now).

All computers are doing light work (ie, youtube, google docs, gmail and simple browsing)

I've got a price on a Draytek Vigor 2110 at $130 (but it's only 80m throughput) and I was told it wouldn't handle the throughput of 30 computers at once. I was told the Vigor 2912 would, and it's $200.

Want to stay under as low cost as possible, as we're not-for-profit school.

We don't need wireless, robust firewall/DNS, but if a consumer grade box with wireless is known to work for someone, I'll take the recommendation.

What about the Asus RT-N66U - it says it handles 300,000 connections - but is that inside networking or through the router? What is it's throughput?

I'm in Hong Kong, but most of the same or similar models are available here. Thanks for your suggestions!

The RT-N66U gets my vote (assuming it's the cheapest you can find). Install RMerlin's 374.38_2-em version on it (or his soon to be released (crosses fingers) xxx.39 firmware) and you should be set.

If wired is the preferred method: the similarly priced (or even cheaper with a sale) RT-AC56U may be even better - it has a faster processor so even with QoS enabled, it will still give you the full speed you're paying for (even without HW acceleration enabled - which QoS disables, when QoS is turned on). Again; I would recommend the RMerlin firmware over the stock.

Very stable, very fast and supported 'continuously', by RMerlin. :)

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/bar/76-total-simul

The 300,000 connections is not how many devices you can connect: it is talking about making connections to a server or servers on the net.

The RT-N66U gets my vote (assuming it's the cheapest you can find). Install RMerlin's 374.38_2-em version on it (or his soon to be released (crosses fingers) xxx.39 firmware) and you should be set.

So this can handle 35 computers throughput if they all hit it at the exact same time?
I don't see the wan port throughput specs on the Asus website:
http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC56U/#specifications
http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN66U/#specifications

The 300,000 connections is not how many devices you can connect: it is talking about making connections to a server or servers on the net.
Yep, got that. I know a single computer can open 100's of connections at a time. So I'm assuming then, that the RT-N66U is capable of handling dozens of computers in a network - but I just want to be sure!

Thanks for your help

If you saw the snb link I provided to the wired performance of these routers; the RT-AC56U has the better Total Simultaneous Throughput, so that should be better for a few more users simultaneously. The rated specs (even if you find it) don't count too much - an actual tested result is more believable and achievable, in actual use.

35 computers to be doing YouTube at the same time though - no, unless your ISP is giving you some crazy (500/500) speeds up/down.

But 35 computers to be doing email, google docs and other simple web browsing, wired, should be easily within the capabilities of these routers.

Use QoS to give a (teacher's) computer more priority than the others if needed.

And remember; I want to stress this is for a wired 'light' workload - wireless would be a whole different story.

We don't need wireless, robust firewall/DNS, but if a consumer grade box with wireless is known to work for someone, I'll take the recommendation.

I'm in Hong Kong, but most of the same or similar models are available here. Thanks for your suggestions!

Ubiquiti Edgemax Lite? It will be more than sufficient to handle what you need if wireless is not required.

I do remember that HK's fibre plans used to include a Cisco ISR 800 series router (though that may only be for the higher tier plans). Maybe you can speak to your ISP about providing one at low cost on contract.

If many of those 35 computers are simultaneously active, I'd add access points on different SSIDs, and put groups of PCs on different APs, to spread the WiFi air time load (use different channels 1, 6, 11), and number of NAT forwarding sessions per AP.

Depends on user activity/stats.

I use a $35 AP.

If many of those 35 computers are simultaneously active, I'd add access points on different SSIDs, and put groups of PCs on different APs, to spread the WiFi air time load (use different channels 1, 6, 11), and number of NAT forwarding sessions per AP.

Depends on user activity/stats.

I use a $35 AP.

OP does not need wireless (maybe 'at all').

I've never used TP-Link, so can't recommend that.

The reviewed unit

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...50-wireless-dual-band-gigabit-router-reviewed

is not so glowing in my mind. (Too many limitations in the gui, not to mention the bottom of the pack 2.4GHz performance).

Of course, this could be already remedied with current firmware.

What is the price for the TP Link and how does it compare to your price for the RT-AC56U?

Ok - final decision:
cisco RV180 is $141 - and
Asus RTAC56U is $123

I'm turning the wireless off completely if I get Asus. And our Wan link is 100m.

So... which is better? I'm leaning toward the cisco, as it is known and I don't want to be fiddling with firmware upgrades and all the bells and whistles.

I read the reviews on the Asus - but two different people here said asus wasn't safe choice to rely on in business with 35 computers.

Any compelling reason to get Asus over Cisco?

For me, the newer Asus RT-AC56U is the more convincing buy. Even in wired only mode.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/security/security-reviews/31746-cisco-rv180-vpn-router-reviewed

While the 300MHz processor in the RV180 won't affect switch speeds - the 800MHz SoC in the RT-AC56U will make a big difference if you need to enable QoS for any reason.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...-band-wireless-ac1200-gigabit-router-reviewed

Just thinking of a 3 minute boot up time (RV180) makes me shudder.

The RT-AC56U is less expensive, more powerful, has more potential to be re-used in the future and offers USB printer support, USB drive support (now with USB hub support in the latest beta firmware) and a 2 year vs. a 1 year warranty.

Not to mention the user reviews of the RV180 that are not so glowing.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/bar/77-max-simul-conn

Your call of course, but did those 'different' people that suggested Asus wasn't a safe choice happen to be salesmen by any chance. :)

The information I have before me says the RT-AC56U is the superior product in this case.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest something different - a used Cisco 2811 router from eBay. In the US, these can be had for well under $100 (cheapest "Buy It Now" is $34.99, a "nice" one is $79.95). You can get a second one to keep as a spare.

Advantages:
  • Very robust build quality (metal case, etc.)
  • Rack, wall, or desktop mounting
  • Mature, full-featured software (I have some that have uptimes of > 3 years)
  • Many available add-in cards (access point, cable modem, DSL modem, VoIP, T1/T3, Ethernet switch, you name it - it has it)
  • Available hardware-based VPN, Crypto, etc. accelerator modules
  • Expandable memory - up to 768MB RAM (with error correction!), 256MB flash
  • High performance - 2811's guaranteed performance is 62Mbit/sec using 64-byte packets ("real-world" packets are much larger and the router has higher throughput for them)
  • Supports every known protocol - want to translate Appletalk to DECnet? This box can do it!
  • Regular IEC C13 power connector - no "wall wart" needed
  • Can use spare unit as a Cisco IOS learning lab - IOS skills are valuable and you did say this was for a school
Disadvantages:
  • "Real" Cisco support (software / hardware maintenance) is horribly expensive, but used equipment is very cheap
  • Cisco IOS is big and scary if you've never used it before. But there is lots of expertise and sample configs available on the net. Extensive documentation (but not software updates) available online from Cisco for free
  • No real configuration GUI (there is a web interface, but configuration is still by command line)
  • Box is larger / noisier (fans) / heavier than consumer-grade units

Cisco 2800 series data sheet

Thanks - I wired all the Macs in the beginning because of performance problems. So only an occasional guest user needs wireles
Most businesses should never use WiFi. Wireless should be used only as a last resort to network media choice.

I would go with Ubiquiti Edge router lite.

Its only 100$.
Handle 1 000 000 packet per seconds, its huge, it could handle a Gbit connection.
VERY Stable, and their latest firmware 1.4.0 is magic.
3 fully configurable and independant interfaces.
Live usage Graphic in the dashboard.
Quick Start wizard.
NAT Wizard with NAT Reflection.
Stateful Firewall
DHCP Server qui static mappings.
DNS Cache server.
Fully managable Command Line interface for more exotic configurations.

I Have one and I Highly recommend.