What's new

Need to repalce my Orbi 850 for something more stable

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KPMiko

New Around Here
Hoping for some suggestions. House is 2500 sqft 1 1/2 story. Orbi sit at the front where the cable comes in. 1st satellite is upstairs about 40 ft away. I have an Engenius ptp bridge set up to connect the 2nd satellite to a building 150ft away which is my office/workshop.

The problem is the Orbi drops connection then gets confused on the config. It tries to route Satellite 1 through 2 to the router.

I was looking at the Omada systems but didn't see many reviews.

Any proven suggestions? Stability is key for me

Thanks

I hear your pain ... I bought an RBK850 3-pack about a year ago, and loved it for about a month, until the first unsolicited firmware update made it significantly buggier. After the second unsolicited firmware update bricked the base unit completely (had to do a factory reset to recover), I decided to move on.

I then bought some ASUS XT8s, which I might not've done if I'd found these forums sooner, because they were not better stability-wise. I will give ASUS comparative points though for not doing forced firmware updates: if you can find a firmware release that doesn't have any bugs that are showstoppers for you, you can sit on that release as long as you want. It's the "if" that's the problem there.

Are you actually using the Orbi as a router/firewall, or is it just an AP sitting behind an ISP-provided router? If you really only need an AP, I can suggest my current solution which is Zyxel NWA210AX access points. I don't want to say they're perfect, but they are way more stable than either the Netgear or ASUS units.

I'm using the Orbi as a router but I'm willing to sell the whole thing and move to a completely new system. I can't have drop outs during work, so I'm open to anything right now

I replaced my 850 three pack with an ASUS xt8 three pack and am thrilled with the stability. Key for me was turning off “smart connect “ - with that off rock solid on latest firmware. A huge improvement from my Orbi nightmare

If done properly, you'll forget about Wi-Fi stability issues. The best price/performance SMB system.
So far (2 days) been stable as a can be. Only thing I noticed is it doesn't get the range the Orbi did on 5 ghz. At least it's a minimal cost to add another AP

SMB AP's are usually slightly directional. The system works best with more APs on lower power. Run the Omada controller 24/7 for better roaming. OC200 is perhaps best for power efficiency.

SMB AP's are usually slightly directional. The system works best with more APs on lower power. Run the Omada controller 24/7 for better roaming. OC200 is perhaps best for power efficiency.
I did the Omada controller and router. 2 AP inside and a 3rd to my shop/office with a wireless backhaul. So far though it's extremely stable

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!