What's new

Need vpn firewall for site to site and PPTP/L2TP client to site

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pain

Occasional Visitor
I’ve been looking for an ‘inexpensive’ vpn firewall, or rather 2 of them, to connect 2 sites using Ipsec tunnel and allow remote users with PPTP/LPTP to connect to the main location.

I’ve tried the Trendnet BRV214, and returned it after a week because it was pretty buggy and the remote vpn would quickly hang up requiring disconnect/reconnect.

I’ve tried the Zyxel VGF6005, and that one is OK though it too has some issues and I don't really trust it. I’m keeping this one for our small location and will use a timer to reboot it daily just in case it wants to hang up.

I’m currently trying the TP-Link ER6020 for my main site, and it seems fine except it will not allow you to set the PPTP/L2TP IP range to the same as the LAN. It appears they just forgot about that when coding the site-to-site features, but it’s sort of a deal breaker.

I just tried using the Shrew Soft Ipsec VPN client as a client-to-site solution, but that didn’t work, even using the step-by-step instructions on the TP-Link site, http://www.tp-link.us/article/?faqid=452

I’ve read the review on this site for the ER6020, so I know these features *should* work, and I’m not a complete novice so it shouldn’t be so difficult to get it running.

My main site has a FIOS business class connection with no modem, so the router connects directly to the internet.

Are there any other vpn routers I can try without getting into the $150+ range, or should I just resign myself to the fact that I’ve got to spend more money? I’m not opposed to spending more money, but I really don’t need a lot of bells and whistles. I just need to be able to remote into the main site reliably, and also have a reliable site-to-site tunnel.

Last edited: