What's new

Need your help and guidance how to proper setup the two RT-AC68U routers to work in AP mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ARamos

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

Since I’m having problems with my AiMesh system where the AiMesh node connected via Wi-Fi as backhaul drops from time to time (here). I want to test AP mode before I decide that is a hardware problem and buy a new one, maybe a different brand or a different solution.

So, I need your help and guidance how to proper setup the two RT-AC68U routers to work in AP mode. If anyone can point me for some reading it will be nice.

My first question is for the Main router that will be connected to the internet provider:

Should thw Main router be setup as: Wireless router mode / AiMesh Router mode (Default) or Access Point(AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode ?

1617701472826.png

Second question:

Does the Second router that will working in AP Mode, needs to be connect by Ehternet cable to the main router or it will work on Wi-Fi also?

Thanks,
ARamos

1 Yes
2 No must be wired.

For the AiMesh to work reliabily on WIFI make sure you use fixed channels and bandwidth. No DFS channels. I have an AC68U mesh node from an AC66U_B1 root router on WIFI that has been connected for over a month.

Last edited:
1. Wireless router mode / AiMesh Router mode (Default)

2. Ethernet cable. To connect it to the main router by WiFi you would have to use Repeater mode instead.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!