What's new

netem module inclusion into merlin firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Calisro

Hey Merlin. I was wanting your thoughts on possibly including the netem module in the asus firmware fork you're maintaining? The netem module is used as part of tc (traffic control) to control additiinal aspects of qos.

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/networking/netem

Its used to artificially control latency, jitter, corruption. I use it on linux but really wanted to use some aspects across my aaus vpns. I'm not looking for gui changes but just a library inclusion if possible.

Hey Merlin. I was wanting your thoughts on possibly including the netem module in the asus firmware fork you're maintaining? The netem module is used as part of tc (traffic control) to control additiinal aspects of qos.

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/networking/netem

Its used to artificially control latency, jitter, corruption. I use it on linux but really wanted to use some aspects across my aaus vpns. I'm not looking for gui changes but just a library inclusion if possible.

I am limited as to what I can change to the kernel options. Any module addition which causes a symbol version change will break support for the closed-source modules provided by Asus for the wireless driver, or the DPI engine. That's the reason for instance why IMQ is not available on the ARM platform - it requires a change to the skbuf kernel structure, which crashes the wireless driver.

I am limited as to what I can change to the kernel options. Any module addition which causes a symbol version change will break support for the closed-source modules provided by Asus for the wireless driver, or the DPI engine. That's the reason for instance why IMQ is not available on the ARM platform - it requires a change to the skbuf kernel structure, which crashes the wireless driver.

Hi Merlin,

Is the above info no longer correct or has the person in the video below compiled his own? I really want to be able to do this without bridging to my Fedora box because its causing NAT issues I cannot seem to resolve.. (I'm on AC68U latest Merlin F/W).

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Merlin,

Is the above info no longer correct or has the person in the video below compiled his own? I really want to be able to do this without bridging to my Fedora box because its causing NAT issues I cannot seem to resolve.. (I'm on AC68U latest Merlin F/W).

Thanks,

Dave

That's on an AC66U, a MIPS based router. Different kernel and different set of restrictions as to what you can and cannot do. (And yes, he probably pulled the module for some other source....he's loading it from a usb drive)

That's on an AC66U, a MIPS based router. Different kernel and different set of restrictions as to what you can and cannot do. (And yes, he probably pulled the module for some other source....he's loading it from a usb drive)

So could I find the netem file and put it on a usb and load it the same way or is the AC68U just not compatible due to its CPU? Again don't mind the leg work just need to know where to look to learn about it and obviously if its not possible I'd rather not waste my time!

If not could you recommend a good priced router which would let me do this sort of thing? I have the AP121U router if this would work as I think thats MIPS based..

Edit: Also happy to flash whatever else onto the Asus so long as it remains stable, so if this is do-able with DD-WRT/Tomato or if I can get Openwrt to run stable I am happy to go to any of these..

Last edited:
@davebruno - I would guess that trying to load a pre-compiled binary would cause problems on the ARM based routers for the reasons Merlin stated.

My best guess at what may support it would be DD-WRT since I believe they have a license to compile their own Broadcom drivers. You may want to ask over in the DD-WRT section in linksysinfo.org forums.