1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Netflix blocked when not using VPN's DNS

Discussion in 'VPN' started by Ro berto, May 20, 2019.

1. Ro berto

Ro berto Regular Contributor

Hello all,

Today I found something interesting, but first a bit of a backstory/explanation;

I set up several openvpn clients (with NordVPN) on my AC86U router running Merlin firmware and Diversion ad blocking so I could watch Netflix on my smart tv. I don't use the DNS pushed by the VPN (I chose disabled on Accept DNS configuration) so I could benefit from Diversion ad blocking.

Constantly I had to change the NordVPN servers because they would get blocked by Netflix.
    Jump to today, I used NordVPN's app on Android and I chose the same server that was being blocked on the openvpn client on my router, and voilĂ  Netflix was not blocked :eek:, then to prove my hipothesis, in the same NordVPN Android app I chose a custom DNS (192.168.1.1 i.e. my router) and sure enough, Netflix is blocked again.

I thought DNS has nothing to do with VPN detection.

Anyone knows more about this?

Ro berto

2. FLA NL

FLA NL Occasional Visitor

The app of NordVPN uses the NordVPN DNS. If you use NordVPN DNS then you probably can watch Netflix also via that server. If not, then you have to search for servers with ip's that are not blocked yet. I don't know what kind of technic NordVPN DNS uses to to unblock Netflix. Maybe they re-route it to unblocked ip's or someting. In my experience, if I found a unblocked server then it lasts just for a few days until it gets blocked. Using NordVPN DNS is a more stable option. The only thing with NordVPN DNS is that other websites are not usable.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Ro berto likes this.
  3. Marin

Marin Very Senior Member

Ro berto likes this.
  4. Xentrk

Xentrk Part of the Furniture