What's new

Netflix network errors when NAT acceleration is enabled.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagster

New Around Here
Hello, I'm having a strange issue where Netflix on most of my set-top-box devices will fail to connect to their servers correctly if I have the NAT acceleration option enabled. If I turn that function off, Netflix works normal on all devices. The problem is, with NAT Accel turned off, my internet speed is not able to be fully utilized. When I have NAT Accel turned on, both CTF and FA become activated. I have 2 routers in an AiMesh. The WAN connected router is a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 (using the asuswrt-merlin vortex firmware v386.7_2), and the mesh node is an Asus RT-AC68U (running asuswrt-merlin v386.7_2). I don't use QOS or VPN.

Any idea's on what could be causing this option to only affect Netflix connectivity?

The WAN connected router is a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 (using the asuswrt-merlin vortex firmware v386.7_2)...
You are using illegal firmware on unsupported hardware.

Hello, I'm having a strange issue where Netflix on most of my set-top-box devices will fail to connect to their servers correctly if I have the NAT acceleration option enabled. If I turn that function off, Netflix works normal on all devices. The problem is, with NAT Accel turned off, my internet speed is not able to be fully utilized. When I have NAT Accel turned on, both CTF and FA become activated. I have 2 routers in an AiMesh. The WAN connected router is a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 (using the asuswrt-merlin vortex firmware v386.7_2), and the mesh node is an Asus RT-AC68U (running asuswrt-merlin v386.7_2). I don't use QOS or VPN.

Any idea's on what could be causing this option to only affect Netflix connectivity?
Why are you asking here? That router isn't supported by Asus Merlin firmware and it may be illegal to run Asus-Merlin firmware and or their forks on non Asus routers. You should be asking here: https://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/asuswrt-merlin-on-netgear-r7000.71108/

To keep it simple (or kiss principle) , it sounds like that @ColinTaylor has provided the best answer here. And the proof is actually in the pudding.

Asuswrt-Merlin contains numerous proprietary components that are only licensed for legal use on original Asus devices. These include (but are not limited to) components from Asus themselves, Broadcom, Trend Micro and Tuxera. Using any of these components on devices for which they haven't been licensed for is ILLEGAL.

This is more of a read between the lines type of rule; simply put, most of the proprietary components are closed source code that only the proprietors have access to. Users who try to debunk these componants on legal Asuswrt router have enough trouble due to this fact. The fact that you are doing such with an illegal configuration just makes it even harder for you to get help.

To those who flashed their non-Asus routers with one of these firmware and have bricked their router, I can only suggest that you contact the author of your firmware fork, they're in the best position to help you, as only them know what they did to hack their fork on your model. You won't be getting any help here because any discussion of these firmware is forbidden, period.

Ignoring the legal stuff others have already commented on, you're running a hardware feature designed for the hardware in an Asus router, on a totally different brand of router that uses different hardware. Of course it is going to have issues. So in other words, if you somehow forced an Nvidia driver to work on your AMD graphics card, lots of stuff is not going to work right.

Ignoring the legal stuff others have already commented on, you're running a hardware feature designed for the hardware in an Asus router, on a totally different brand of router that uses different hardware. Of course it is going to have issues. So in other words, if you somehow forced an Nvidia driver to work on your AMD graphics card, lots of stuff is not going to work right.
Not a proper comparison, they have very similar CPUs (R7000 uses BCM4709A0, old model of RT-AC68U uses BCM4708A0 and C0, new model uses BCM4709C0), same radio chip (BCM4360*2).

So more problems occur with software than hardware.

Because Asuswrt is not 100% open source, it contains a lot of closed source components that are only legal to run on asus routers, such as trend micro, ntfs driver, aimesh, that's why it's not legal to use on other non-asus hardware.

The reason a lot of things don't work isn't because of hardware issues, but model checking in the firmware, which refuses to work on non-asus routers for licensing reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!