What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Julio Urquidi

News Editor
netgear-armor-rs400.jpg
NETGEAR’s Nighthawk RS400 Cybersecurity Wi-Fi Router includes several security features, including anti-virus, anti-malware and data protection for all connected devices.

Powered by Bitdefender, the RS400 is designed to protect a small network, protecting devices from malicious attacks and sending alerts to the Nighthawk app on your smartphone, tablet or computer, as soon as something is detected.

For families, the RS400 also includes Circle’s smart parenting controls, adding bedtime scheduling, daily internet time usage, and content filtering for each member of the family.

The three-stream AC router's ports include four GbE LAN, one GbE WAN and two USB (v3.0 in front and v2.0 in the back). Maximum Wi-Fi link rates are 600 Mbps @ 2.4 GHz (40 MHz B/W) and 1625 Mbps @ 5 GHz (80 MHz B/W). Downlink MU-MIMO is supported on 5 GHz.

Available now, the NETGEAR Nighthawk RS400 includes three years of NETGEAR Armor security services and is priced at $299.99 MSRP. After the first three years, additional subscriptions cost $69.99 per year.

Probably 2016 R7000P hardware with new firmware. *Update* Confirmed. Netgear tacked the RS400 onto the same FCC ID as the R7000P/R6900P on 6/25/2019.

A R7000P running the latest firmware (1.3.1.64_10.1.36) should have a NetgearArmor.htm page although it may not be linked through the UI and it might not actually do anything.

Last edited:
This must be some kind of a joke right ???? Netgear can't even fix minor bugs on the routers they already have. This will be a complete joke software wise make no mistake. This router will do this and this router will do that only to find it's broken and don't work as intended by the worse firmeware ever coded. Stay far away people you have been warned.

This must be some kind of a joke right ???? Netgear can't even fix minor bugs on the routers they already have. This will be a complete joke software wise make no mistake. This router will do this and this router will do that only to find it's broken and don't work as intended by the worse firmeware ever coded. Stay far away people you have been warned.
Netgear is a bit Like Symantec their devs are lazy and over paid and their code is so out dated every vender devs are becomming lazy with their code

Netgear is a bit Like Symantec their devs are lazy and over paid and their code is so out dated every vender devs are becomming lazy with their code

NETGEAR outsources its firmware development to Delta Networks, if my sources are correct. So they don't even write their own firmware themselves

NETGEAR outsources its firmware development to Delta Networks, if my sources are correct. So they don't even write their own firmware themselves
Thats why software is so bad no in house development so Q&A can be checked on every thing done off shore

NETGEAR’s Nighthawk RS400 Cybersecurity Wi-Fi Router includes several security features, including anti-virus, anti-malware and data protection for all connected devices.

Powered by Bitdefender, the RS400 is designed to protect a small network, protecting devices from malicious attacks and sending alerts to the Nighthawk app on your smartphone, tablet or computer, as soon as something is detected.

For families, the RS400 also includes Circle’s smart parenting controls, adding bedtime scheduling, daily internet time usage, and content filtering for each member of the family.

The three-stream AC router's ports include four GbE LAN, one GbE WAN and two USB (v3.0 in front and v2.0 in the back). Maximum Wi-Fi link rates are 600 Mbps @ 2.4 GHz (40 MHz B/W) and 1625 Mbps @ 5 GHz (80 MHz B/W). Downlink MU-MIMO is supported on 5 GHz.

Available now, the NETGEAR Nighthawk RS400 includes three years of NETGEAR Armor security services and is priced at $299.99 MSRP. After the first three years, additional subscriptions cost $69.99 per year.

Security sells, even if most of the damage is being done on the server side. Beside $5.83 a month isn't too bad.

For families, the RS400 also includes Airline Claims Circle’s smart parenting controls, adding bedtime scheduling, daily internet time usage, and content filtering for each member of the family.

Ok, now that is some top tier router right there.

Like why, releasing multiple SKUs of similar models with different feature sets on top multiple hardware models which they already seemed hard pressed to support. To top it off some high end units are missing some of the features of low end units or previous gen high end models ie Downloader, Plex, Circle etc. I mean for a long while the R7800 had working HT160 out of the box and the newer R9000 didn’t till much later after release, even though they both used the same QCA9984 WiFi chip. I suppose that makes sense when the varying vendors for each model are doing the actual firmware work.

There is no consistency in terms of features nor even between the mobile/desktop apps and the router GUI with things like attached devices type identification icons. Wish they were like Asus where there was a consistent feature set across models with the ROG ones having some additional features. With fewer models they can have better focus on improving and fixing issues in their firmwares.

Last edited:
LOL. A 1Ghz dual core is definitely too weak to run proper antivirus software and most likely it will only detect it if it can see inside the traffic, which is not the case for encrypted traffic, e.g. malware that comes in through https sites.

I read here a lot of critics against NetGear, D-Link routers and their software.
Can anybody suggest what is today the best router in terms of management, security and wifi for a small business unit or a very large house regardless of cost.

I read here a lot of critics against NetGear, D-Link routers and their software.
Can anybody suggest what is today the best router in terms of management, security and wifi for a small business unit or a very large house regardless of cost.

My second router is an ASUS RT-AC2900 (same firmware as RT-AC86U) with @RMerlin Asuswrt-Merlin 384.12.
Totaly recomended.

But i still prefer to use my good old R7800 :)

Sepearate the functions.. have a PFSense/Opnsense router and then switches/APs. I'm running Opnsense on a home built computer for routing with a Netgear R8000 as an access point. I found with running the netgear as a router if I enabled more than 1-2 functions the performance/reliability would suffer.

Security in a router is a scam, OK, money maker. How is the software running in a router going to see inside HTTPS/SSL or VPN streams and ID anything at all, whether bad or not? Who in their right mind would install the security keys for the whole network in a router, if that could work, for protection? Routers to be effective only need to be NAT devices at a minimum, keep bad stuff out, anything else is nice to have or after that, Fluff. The biggest security threat we have today is the computer user and they don't seem to want to change thier easy ways of doing things. To answer the question what is the best router, I would say, best is in the eyes of the beholder. That is, what I have is the best. It's better than what you have since you are asking. People need to learn to shop, it'e easy to buy but shopping takes an effort. The better question would have been, what do I need in a router to fill these needs? Then the shopping can begin.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!