What's new

NETGEAR EX6200 Vs. Amped Wireless SR20000G?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Neither.
Read all the posts here about high power WiFi - range imbalance on to client vs. from client (client device remains low power, esp. handhelds). High power end out-talks the client.

Rock Band amp analogy.

You have something to recommends?

Regards.
If you are looking at higher power on the router to correct weak signal areas you now have, then the real answer is to use one or more WiFi access points (APs). Example: I use an ASUS RT-N12/D1 ($40), which has an AP mode among others. You connect an AP to the router with cat5 cable if at all possible, or HomePlug/HPNA IP over power wiring, or MoCA IP over existing TV coax cabling.

I have used an EX6200 for a year or so as a bridge. It got me network where nothing else would. The EX6200 is an excellent device IMHO. It is also a very flexible one too. It can be configured as a repeater, a bridge or an Access Point. In my case I need to get a wifi signal through a firewall in my garage. Nothing would receive it except The EX6200.

So you can try it in repeater mode. Not my favorite way to extend range but it works. With the dual band aspect and AC the EX6200 can use one band for router to extender comms and use the other for device connection.

And if later you can get a cable to it you can use it as an AP. It really is a nicely designed piece of gear I definitely have had great results with mine.

Bob Silver
Netgear Consultant

I have used an EX6200 for a year or so as a bridge. It got me network where nothing else would. The EX6200 is an excellent device IMHO. It is also a very flexible one too. It can be configured as a repeater, a bridge or an Access Point. In my case I need to get a wifi signal through a firewall in my garage. Nothing would receive it except The EX6200.

So you can try it in repeater mode. Not my favorite way to extend range but it works. With the dual band aspect and AC the EX6200 can use one band for router to extender comms and use the other for device connection.

And if later you can get a cable to it you can use it as an AP. It really is a nicely designed piece of gear I definitely have had great results with mine.

Bob Silver
Netgear Consultant
Bridge (WiFi to ethernet wired) .. good thing for connecting wired PCs and TVs and so on.

Cisco used to make a $$$$ WiFi client bridge with an Access Point function concurrent. So the bridge would pass WiFi clients nearby as well as wired clients.

Of course, a bridge to ethernet can connect to a separate AP. But then it gets a bit messy.

Currently I have EX6100,
I can configure it as Bridge?
as I saw only repeater/access point.

Regards.

Yes you can. What you so is set it up as a repeater and then just turn wifi broadcast off. You won't see it on your wifi list but it will connect and provide network access through the Ethernet ports. Or you can leave the wifi repeat function on too.

Bob Silver
Netgear Networking Consultant

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!