What's new

Netgear GS108 warning

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Donald Gudehus

New Around Here
I wanted to upgrade my local network with a gigabit switch that would replace my Negear 8-ort switch, FS308. The picture of the GS108 I saw on the web looked reasonable so I bought one. What a disappointment! The ethernet ports are on the front and the power jack on the rear. Because the device would sit on a tabletop, the ethernet cables would be subject to bumping and other impacts besides looking ugly. If you turn the thing around 180 degrees you then would have the power jack facing you along with a solder lug for a ground, and the label would be upsidedown. Fortunately, the store I bought it from (Univ. of OR Bookstore) has agreed to let me return it (less a 20% restocking fee). I will start looking for another brand of switch.

I wanted to upgrade my local network with a gigabit switch that would replace my Negear 8-ort switch, FS308. The picture of the GS108 I saw on the web looked reasonable so I bought one. What a disappointment! The ethernet ports are on the front and the power jack on the rear. Because the device would sit on a tabletop, the ethernet cables would be subject to bumping and other impacts besides looking ugly. If you turn the thing around 180 degrees you then would have the power jack facing you along with a solder lug for a ground, and the label would be upsidedown. Fortunately, the store I bought it from (Univ. of OR Bookstore) has agreed to let me return it (less a 20% restocking fee). I will start looking for another brand of switch.

This is aimed more for small business server rooms or IT workbench techs who build systems on domain. You can use it in the home but the wires are in the front and not in the rear. It's a matter of convince.

Netgear GS608.

http://www.netgear.com/upload/product/gs605/gs605_gs608_ds_27jun08.pdf

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!