What's new

Netgear Jaguar (Nighthawk X12) AX6000 Wireless Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Where did this quote come from?

Netgear's webpage, at the bottom.

upload_2018-9-11_17-43-12.png

eSATA has pretty much been replaced by USB 3.0. Folks can argue that eSATA has higher performance. But the momentum is clearly behind the USB platform. I'd expect USB 3.0 to move to USB C vs. adding back eSATA on routers.

I would agree - eSATA in the use case of Home Router/AP's is pretty much dead - USB3.0 won that battle...

Perhaps the Linksys WRT's are the most common eSATA hosts out there, but I don't recall any posts about usage of that port for eSATA devices - that port on the WRT also does USB2.0 if folks wanted to do that, but since the USB3 port was also present...

I don't think SATA/eSATA is part of the USB-C spec - Display Port/HDMI/USB3.x/Thunderbolt 3 are the most common... but USB-C is a bit of a trainwreck anyways...

Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 5.48.59 PM.png

I think he means utilizing both bands in a combined fashion in regards to a client? That is not possible though.

With 11ax - in the weird space-time continuum that is marketing...

upload_2018-9-11_17-43-12.png

A 2-stream client in the current 11n/11ac environment does have two discrete radios, so it's possible, however unlikely, that one can put a radio in 2.4GHz and another in 5GHz...

I don't know why one would even choose to do that vs. keeping on the radios on the same band, thus enjoying the love of Rx Diversity and spatial multiplexing it offers...

Anyways - the marketing claim would need client support - just as always - clients define the link in WiFi...

I would agree - eSATA in the use case of Home Router/AP's is pretty much dead - USB3.0 won that battle...

And USB3 + UASP takes care to close most of the performance gap.

Sorry. Missed that. I'll ask NETGEAR for an explanation.

I suspect it might mean that AX applies to both 2.4 and 5. AC applied to 5 GHz only.

This might give some clarification, I didn’t think they would actually do this as I assume power draw would be higher:

Older BCM4359:
https://wireless.electronicspecifie...-features-real-simultaneous-dual-band-support

“Real Simultaneous Dual-Band (RSDB)” is also mentioned for the mobile/smartphone ax product BCM4375:
https://globenewswire.com/news-rele...Complete-Ecosystem-of-802-11ax-Solutions.html

Last edited:
Looks like they have backed off on this claim. This is what the 11ax page shows today.

Probably more accurate for now...

They should put that little disclaimer - "* requires compatible Device adapter" (or something to that effect)

Ewww. Looks like Kilo Rens ship from Force Awakens. :eek: