What's new

Netgear Jaguar (Nighthawk X12) AX6000 Wireless Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes.

It's not an early draft, it's actually in its fourth revision now, with a fifth planned for next year. It's just that the IEEE is slower than frozen molasses at finalizing anything.

http://www.ieee802.org/11/Reports/tgax_update.htm

6 years to finalize this - this is insane... I can understand manufacturers getting tired of waiting.
That is an insane amount of time, but my worry with picking up a early AX router would be is it going to be truly compatible with the final draft, apart from the fact I have no AX clients. I'll wait for the final revision and the day I buy a new device that can use it, which may be a while as I seem to have updated most of what I want/afford for a few years now, and yet 8K TV's are being pushed already. Talk about desperation to get money from peoples pockets. Also I'm not sure my tired eyes could tell the difference from a good 4K TV these days, even then its really HDR10/Dolby Vision/HLG that makes that shine.

We seem to have reached a plateau where just putting bigger CPU's in phones and adding bigger numbers to devices is all the innovation we are getting for now, and Huawei who are innovative or at least give people what they want in the box for a reasonable price are being banned in every western country in some form or another, they have been sliced out of the core 5G and 4G networks here in the UK (although most FTTC cabs here in the UK are Huawei) the rest are ECI which have lots of issues.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ing-huawei-equipment-from-parts-of-4g-network

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46453425

There is nothing that I need to make my life better apart from a good holiday away from all the tech stuff tbh. All I need on my holiday is my wheelchair, suitcase and my faithful point and shoot. ;)

Last edited:
The chances of draft 11ax routers sold today being incompatible with the final standard is low. More likely is that another generation may be needed to properly implement features line UL MU-MIMO and some aspects of OFDMA.

The risks in buying early are hitting interoperability and performance bugs, which can be a hassle and buying high on the price learning curve, for little real benefit.

What is delaying the launch of AX Clients? Surely if they can have draft Router they could also do Draft client.

What is delaying the launch of AX Clients? Surely if they can have draft Router they could also do Draft client.
It took at least a year for MU-MIMO devices to ship after routers and more than two for MU-MIMO devices to become widely available in the U.S.

Smartphones are the primary devices used today and carriers have to extensively test new phones on their networks. Carriers are focused on 5G deployments right now. Wi-Fi 6 might piggy-back on those devices.

I’m told first Wi-Fi 6 enabled phones will be announced in January @ CES 2019 and/or MWC in Feb. If this is true, this will be the shortest gap between next-gen technology consumer routers and matching devices in a LONG time. But still can be awhile before WiFi 6 devices are widely available here in the U.S.

Next years launch of new product lines may well bring more AX clients but I imagine most companies will wait for the final draft before dipping their toes in, nobody wants a brand spanking new big ticket item with a client that is not compatible will the final draft of Wi-Fi 6 because it cant be updated. I imagine like AC, it will take a while to become the norm as people seem less likely to update their tech as frequently these days as it already does all they want it to already. Also with market uncertainty in some countries like here in the UK people may grab items in the sales after Christmas and sit tight to see what happens to the £ next year.

It took at least a year for MU-MIMO devices to ship after routers and more than two for MU-MIMO devices to become widely available in the U.S.

Smartphones are the primary devices used today and carriers have to extensively test new phones on their networks. Carriers are focused on 5G deployments right now. Wi-Fi 6 might piggy-back on those devices.

I’m told first Wi-Fi 6 enabled phones will be announced in January @ CES 2019 and/or MWC in Feb. If this is true, this will be the shortest gap between next-gen technology consumer routers and matching devices in a LONG time. But still can be awhile before WiFi 6 devices are widely available here in the U.S.
I'm not surprised by phones, that market is already pretty stagnant and anything to push sales is in the interest of manufactures, I'm not sure AX will make people rush out to by a new phone though as people hold onto them a lot longer these days, but its good that AX it wont take as long as AC took to penetrate the market.

I'm not surprised by phones, that market is already pretty stagnant and anything to push sales is in the interest of manufactures, I'm not sure AX will make people rush out to by a new phone though as people hold onto them a lot longer these days, but its good that AX it wont take as long as AC took to penetrate the market.
If carriers and manufacturers hold true to form, consumers will be hard pressed to determine whether phones support Wi-Fi 6.
Look at any phone's specs and try to determine whether it supports MU-MIMO...

If carriers and manufacturers hold true to form, consumers will be hard pressed to determine whether phones support Wi-Fi 6.
Look at any phone's specs and try to determine whether it supports MU-MIMO...
I guess it depends on the buyer, mine does but thats because i looked at the tech specs and it actually mentioned MU-MIMO to my surprise. Also many people are not updating as much as they used to anyway. Hardware is as good as it gets pretty much and most new features seem like gimmicks and UK consumers are being very cautious it seems. Christmas shopping data for the home tech industry will be interesting for the UK. People seem to be sitting tight on what they have or buying last minute bargains and not worrying if its the latest and greatest, fearing what will happen in the new year with the EU situation.

Assuming these aren't just paper launches tho... Intel already announced their 802.11ax client, so it's now a matter of availability.

Well the SD 855 supports Ax already, so I wont be surprised if all the Flagship Android Phone next year has AX support. But by client I was thinking in the line of Dongle, USB receiver etc. I thought it would make sense to ship them alongside with routers. But I guess as Kill has said, they are waiting for spec, which they still have NOT released their November meeting notes as of today.

So is there any benefit in the 2.2ghz of this unit vs the 1.8ghz clock speeds of other units.

Well the SD 855 supports Ax already, so I wont be surprised if all the Flagship Android Phone next year has AX support.

Provided manufacturers use the Wifi component from the SD855. I've seen phones in the past that had a Snapdragon CPU, but used a different wifi chip.

So is there any benefit in the 2.2ghz of this unit vs the 1.8ghz clock speeds of other units.

I'm hoping that this will enable actual/usable Gbps speeds with all or most features enabled for people with Gbps ISP connections.

I'm hoping that this will enable actual/usable Gbps speeds with all or most features enabled for people with Gbps ISP connections.
I'd love to see router CPUs be able to hand gigabit without software acceleration, as well as handle all the features that are CPU intensive that are packed into them.

I'd be interested to see a router that could do proper QoS on a gigabit connection with cake, yet maintain a consumer grade design.

I'm Also wondering how well it handles at least 15-20 client devices at once connected to it compared to an RT-AX88U.

Though I have a feeling that Asus will release something to compete with it soon.

Last edited:
If I am not mistaken the IPQ8065 in the R7800 can do hardware NAT acceleration with QOS/Traffic monitoring enabled.

Not sure about the new Broadcom CPUs in the new Asus and Netgear routers though.

If I am not mistaken the IPQ8065 in the R7800 can do hardware NAT acceleration with QOS/Traffic monitoring enabled.

Not sure about the new Broadcom CPUs in the new Asus and Netgear routers though.

I think that's correct. It has 2 normal CPUs and 2 so-called "network processors @ 800 MHz" for packet acceleration. I don't know if QoS/Traffic monitoring has an effect on the network processors

XR500 can do QoS at Gigabit speeds, so I'm guessing the R7800 can. Damn this router is ugly, I guess now its out I can now talk about it as a beta tester? I think NTGR missed their chance to make it the same colour as the Orbi because damn its dominating in a room, and my unit runs to hot as a engineering sample and early Alpha unit to use with what I would call confidence. I'm sure later release models run fine, although I still think its way to early to purchase a AX router, let alone at the price point for what is still a draft version.

Last edited:
The Netgear Premier Membership Beta Program for the AX12 has been released. I don't think the take up will be very high at these prices:

Geek Squad? In-home? Monthly subscription? This has no value for me or any customer I know. At the 'best value' rates here, my RT-N66U would have cost almost $3,360 by now (if bought when introduced). ;)

And it is still working for the folks I donated it to. ;)