What's new

NETGEAR Joins the AC1900 Club

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Would be fun, someone should try it in a highly dense wifi environment, have like at least 100 accesspoints, all force the coexistence features off so each router can go into it's full performance mode and then gather some throughput data.

Would be interesting to see how will a wifi environment will perform when routers try their best to ignore the other routers around them and simply focus purely on providing the maximum throughput to the clients connected to the router.

Anyway most of my higher bandwidth devices already use 5GHz and the only device stuck on it is my older acer router and old smartphone (HTC mytouch 3G slide).

Out of 23 devices connected to my RT-N66U only 4 are 5 GHz. It will be awhile before I get any AC devices. My wife and daughter still connect there Samsung S2 Sky Rocket to the 2.4 GHz band due to 5 GHz band being so weak upstairs. So really only 2 5 GHz in my household.

What do you all make of the Netgear "cloud" marketing hype for having a database of optimizing QoS services? Just curious as with the AC66 we still manage those manually - perhaps I haven't seen it anywhere before, but is there a thread or site where you can get a breakdown of the major services/titles to add to our Asus setup?

Right now I use the basics, plus Xbox Live and Diablo 3. But I'd be interested in seeing if there are others that I'd be able to take advantage of.

R7000 Test Results Posted

Wireless and Router tests have been done and are in the Router Charts. These are with the standard ASUS adapter that does not support TurboQAM. So the results basically reflect an AC1750 router.

I am working to get test results posted for all three AC1900 products by Monday and a short First Look article posted. More detailed reviews will follow later.

Wireless and Router tests have been done and are in the Router Charts. These are with the standard ASUS adapter that does not support TurboQAM. So the results basically reflect an AC1750 router.

I am working to get test results posted for all three AC1900 products by Monday and a short First Look article posted. More detailed reviews will follow later.

Where's the new Linksys EA6900???

Where's the new Linksys EA6900???
Jeez, are your current routers really that crummy? Or you just like the pain of debugging new routers?

Anyway..... Linksys was going to ship the router, but didn't like the results they were seeing when they tested some of the first batch, so they are holding it back from me.
They missed the window for the article that will post Monday. So you won't see any results on it for the next two weeks or so.

Just curious if you have found out yet if the r7000 uses a fan on the processor?

Just curious if you have found out yet if the r7000 uses a fan on the processor?

+1, good question. That does seem like it would be a point of failure for those that hang on to routers for a long while, or like me hand it down to a member of my family when I'm done with it!

It doesn't. Why would it? The BCM4709 is just a faster version of the BCM4708 that us in other routers.

It has a large heatsink that the processor is thermally coupled to. All passive cooling.

It doesn't. Why would it? The BCM4709 is just a faster version of the BCM4708 that us in other routers.

It has a large heatsink that the processor is thermally coupled to. All passive cooling.

Because some on here have been claiming it does and that is how Netgear achieved the higher clock speed than Asus. One early purchaser on this forum said he heard a fan.

Last edited:
SPOILER ALERT for tomorrow's review: There is a simpler reason for the different clock speed.

SPOILER ALERT for tomorrow's review: There is a simpler reason for the different clock speed.

Any guesses Merlin and others?

Better passive cooling?

Running only one core?

Netgear is Advertising it as a 1 Ghz processor speed, not clock speed, and only running it at 800 Mhz? ( manual for the r7000 states 800 Mhz )

Last edited:
Any guesses Merlin and others?

Better passive cooling?

Running only one core?

Netgear is Advertising it as a 1 Ghz processor speed, not clock speed, and only running it at 800 Mhz? ( manual for the r7000 states 800 Mhz )

That's interesting..... Tim has us hanging here.

From the manual for the r7000:

"The dual-core 800 MHz processor delivers high-performance connectivity, and the USB 3.0 port provides up to 10 times faster USB hard drive access". Or could be a typo...

Last edited:
From the manual for the r7000:

"The dual-core 800 MHz processor delivers high-performance connectivity, and the USB 3.0 port provides up to 10 times faster USB hard drive access". Or could be a typo...

I saw that in the online manual as well. More marketing hype and deception?

I know that ZTE has been caught saying dual core 1000Mhz when someone clocked it as 2x500Mhz. Forget what phone it was.

Unless Netgear implemented some super cooler, I doubt that they can run at 1GHz. Netgear does not provide any direct means to end users to check to clocks (unlike PCs).

Based on my experiences with RT-AC56U, many users report very high temps without overclocking (800MHz). Given how restrictive to airflow is Asus' case, I am not surprised that in less than ideal conditions the CPU may exceed 80-85 degrees Celsius.

At 1GHz, idle temperatures were already jumping up with no cooling in my case... So yes - please confirm if Netgear can actually run at 1GHz and not overheat...

I am looking forward to see the pics of disassembled Netgear:)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!