What's new

NETGEAR Joins the AC1900 Club

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

babgvant

Regular Contributor
NETGEAR just announced their AC1900 router based on what appears to be identical hardware. It's a bit cheaper than the AC68, and includes their automated backup solution (BYOHDD).

NETGEAR just announced their AC1900 router based on what appears to be identical hardware. It's a bit cheaper than the AC68, and includes their automated backup solution (BYOHDD).

Time to start a new "these USB 3.0 txfr speeds aren't fast enough on my router" thread. Let's get the jump on this one. ;)

Pretty sure that's the same netgear R7000 that already leaked out after some weird appearances then removals off various websites. But there is a thread and at least one forum participant (@lexist2112) purchased one at a Fry's retail last week.

Time to start a new "these USB 3.0 txfr speeds aren't fast enough on my router" thread. Let's get the jump on this one. ;)

LOL

Pretty sure that's the same netgear R7000 that already leaked out after some weird appearances then removals off various websites. But there is a thread and at least one forum participant (@lexist2112) purchased one at a Fry's retail last week.

I didn't say the R7000 didn't exist before this morning, just that it was announced this morning :). I would have liked to comment on its existence earlier (when the AC68U v. others discussion started), but unfortunately I agreed to an NDA until today :).

Good video, makes me want to buy it. But I'm so tired of all the companies advertising Netflix and Hulu Plus HD streaming with no lag. My trusty old Linksys WRT54GL can do that with ease. Now we have 3 big boys coming to battle. R7000, AC68U and the EA900. Can't wait for the reviews.

The pace at which new routers are coming out with incremental upgrades and the "consumerization" of the bulletpoints on which they differentiate themselves with makes me feel like I need to buy me some Broadcom stock! 6 years ago I never thought hundreds of millions of people would want to upgrade their mobile phones every 12-24 months, and I would have been totally wrong (turns out I fit squarely into that demographic).

Now my beautiful Dark Knight can't even check the news on Cnet without feeling full of shame and envy. All I know is my next media bridge will probably be bought at a Salvation Army thrift store. ;)

Would that be a pipe through heaven?

"I'll take Clapton B-sides for $500, Alec"

I take it when all these AC1900 routers launch the Dark Knight will be dead.

I pretty much only use wifi for light web surfing and using phones/tablets, I'd guesstimate 80% of my total traffic or more is LAN only and my wifi needs are totally satiated right now at 802.11n speeds. I'm probably in the minority of people who has 20-30 pulls of Cat5e and a large gigabit switch so between that and the separate NAS, I have no real reason to upgrade anytime soon, at least not till all my client devices cycle over to AC and I upgrade them. But lots of Ethernet and multiple APs has me covered with way more wifi capacity than I actually use.

PS - you know what happens in the end? The Dark Knight rises. ;)

I mainly use wifi for my mobile devices (smartphone, laptop, tablet, printer, and a few others).

Most routers can do well over 100mbit/s on wifi (and many quality ones can easily do 200-300mbit/s (and if you have something like the r6300, then 400-500mbit/s is possible).

Overall for the computers that I need a lot of performance, I use ethernet, and when I need to backup my tablet, I bring it near the router and connect an ethernet cable.

I pretty much only use wifi for light web surfing and using phones/tablets, I'd guesstimate 80% of my total traffic or more is LAN only and my wifi needs are totally satiated right now at 802.11n speeds. I'm probably in the minority of people who has 20-30 pulls of Cat5e and a large gigabit switch so between that and the separate NAS, I have no real reason to upgrade anytime soon, at least not till all my client devices cycle over to AC and I upgrade them. But lots of Ethernet and multiple APs has me covered with way more wifi capacity than I actually use.

PS - you know what happens in the end? The Dark Knight rises. ;)

I myself have a laptop, xbox 360 and a router cascaded off my N66U. I separated my N and G networks and have 20 wireless devices so 23 in all connected to the router. I have no AC devices so I will be sticking with the N66U for some time.

I'm sure the new netgear, and all the other AC stuff in the pipeline from all manufacturers is going to be fast, fun, and exciting. But I've grown to be a little leery though when reviews tend to beat on things like: they say if I connect another one of these routers to this one to be in client mode it will really rock!; or, when the new firmware is eventually released you will definitely see some improvement; or, "as the marketing rep explained to me, this is a very powerful feature."

I'm sure the new netgear, and all the other AC stuff in the pipeline from all manufacturers is going to be fast, fun, and exciting. But I've grown to be a little leery though when reviews tend to beat on things like: they say if I connect another one of these routers to this one to be in client mode it will really rock!; or, when the new firmware is eventually released you will definitely see some improvement; or, "as the marketing rep explained to me, this is a very powerful feature."

Amen! I was thinking the same thing about the review you are sighting. That review seemed to be a sales pitch more than a review. If those future features they are talking about adding would make improvements in performance (2.4 Ghz beamforming and QOS enhancements), maybe they should have added them prior to the roll out. Doesn't Netgear have routers with with dual core processors that are still only running on one core?

Last edited:
Are we sure the Netgear has fans? Or are we guessing on the ears of one early purchaser? In addition, after reading the Cnet review, what advantage over the rt-ac68u is the faster processor offering, since it does not seem to offer better raw performance? Or does it just offer a marketing placebo effect? As in, my processor is faster than your processor, naaa nana na naaaaaaa......

Last edited:
What processor is the AC68U running? I checked the Asus site and can't find the info. Netgear has 1 GHz and the EA6900 has 800 Mhz. I've never been this excited about new routers launching in my life.

What processor is the AC68U running? I checked the Asus site and can't find the info. Netgear has 1 GHz and the EA6900 has 800 Mhz. I've never been this excited about new routers launching in my life.

Same processor, Asus runs it at 800 and Netgear 1000 to impress the easy to impress gamer who is all about numbers and not performance. According to an early buyer on this forum they he had to shut off QOS for better performance, which Netgear is pushing their QOS as a selling point. I hate Netgear from past experience. My money is on Asus, not only for Asus sake, but I also have Merlin making firmware improvements. Asus plus Merlin is a good as it gets. Buy Belkin or Netgear and wait and wait for firmware releases. Or buy Asus, and get Merlin at no additional cost!

I eventually will get the AC68U as I have had bad experiences with Netgear and Belkin products. Netgear is just horrible.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!