What's new

Netgear R7000 Wifi ac router poor USB performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ankydu

Occasional Visitor
I have recently bought a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 wifi ac router with 1 USB 3.0 and 1 USB 2.0 port. Upon connecting my WD mypassport 1TB USB 3.0 HDD with the USB ports gives me 3.93 mbps of transfer rate. is it normal?? I expected atleast 50mpbs+ of transfer rate. And for some strange reason transfer on USB 2.0 feels faster than USB 3.0.

I copied a 637mb file from my laptop (wifi N) over wifi to and from the router. Following are the results:

From laptop to router time: 2 mins 35 secs
From router to laptop time: 1 min 35 secs.

Then tried with a 231 mb video file:

From laptop to router: ~3mins (strange)

Are you testing with an Ethernet connection? Our tests showed 57 MBytes/sec for READ only using a Gigabit Ethernet connection. USB 3.0 Writes were in the 30 MB/s range.

Are you testing with an Ethernet connection? Our tests showed 57 MBytes/sec for READ only using a Gigabit Ethernet connection. USB 3.0 Writes were in the 30 MB/s range.

In My case the USB 3.0 external hard drive was connected to the USB 3.0 port of the router and my laptop was connected to the router via wifi (2.4Ghz), so transferring over wifi (n) at around 4-5 MB/s, is that alright then?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The wireless connection is the limit 5 MB/s is 40 Mbps. Depending on the laptop adapter class, distance and neighboring traffic, that isn't bad.

For fastest transfers, always use Ethernet.

The wireless connection is the limit 5 MB/s is 40 Mbps. Depending on the laptop adapter class, distance and neighboring traffic, that isn't bad.

For fastest transfers, always use Ethernet.

Thanks for the quick reply. During the transfers, my laptop is HP make with wifi N onboard adapter and it was in the same room as the router about 10-12 ft away from it. When transferring large files >2GB the speed in the end averaged around 3.93 MB/s over wifi n. I hope that is good enough ?

What is your wireless link rate (reported in wireless network Status.

What is your wireless link rate (reported in wireless network Status.

My friend took it to test at his end. Will update as soon as I get it back or will ask him what speed he is getting and update !

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

I had the R7000 for a day and I returned it.

Netgear is currently having firmware issues. One of the issues, is slow WiFi speed, even though I had a much stronger signal than my current Asus router.

I had the R7000 for a day and I returned it.

Netgear is currently having firmware issues. One of the issues, is slow WiFi speed, even though I had a much stronger signal than my current Asus router.

Even Asus is having issues with USB3 Performance, which one to get than?

Don't you think firmware issues can be sorted with further firmware updates?

Even Asus is having issues with USB3 Performance, which one to get than?

Don't you think firmware issues can be sorted with further firmware updates?

In my experience, Netgear tends to drop support on their products way too prematurely. Wheres Asus continues support of their products for a lot longer period of time.

Go over to Netgear sight and pock around.

In my experience, Netgear tends to drop support on their products way too prematurely. Wheres Asus continues support of their products for a lot longer period of time.

Go over to Netgear sight and pock around.

R7000 with DD-WRT flashed.

Well I got the router back, just checked, My HP DV6T and my connected speeds are varying between 70-144mbps. Is that the problem ???

What make/model device is connecting? What 802.11 modes does it support?
Is it near but not too near (< 3 ft.)?

What make/model device is connecting? What 802.11 modes does it support?
Is it near but not too near (< 3 ft.)?

My HP DV6T laptop is 2011 model and has Intel Centrino Wireless N hardware. Its wifi b/g/n certified. Dunno about its max speeds but that is what (70-144mbps) its connecting at with the R7000 router. Also my laptop can see and connect to the router only on 2.4Ghz Band. it is in the same room as the router about 10-12 feet away from it. There is also a Belkin wifi N router running next to it.

@thiggins, requesting you to see and reply, thanks !!!

Last edited:
I have asus ac68u and also I bought R7000 in last two days but i feel disappoint , the usb 3 speed between 18 - 28 MB/s ( also I expected 50 MB/s or more ) same as asus in spite of the r7000 is not suffering from usb 3 shield problem,
second about coverage not as mention in most amazon review is reach basement floor or second floor,in my case is coverage only my room ,corridor and difficult to reach next room , and now asus with beta firmware is stable and same coverage.
also I faced problem with mobile streaming the genie app not recognized the usb 3 storage but I fixed it after I found the solution in other web site by the way the BubbleUPnP android DLNA app more better than stock.
So I think all problems are related to Broadcom chip drivers so The Netgear should request the new drivers from Broadcom as asus requested for last beta stable firmware.

Last edited:
Why are there two routers? Are both being used? If they are, they should be set to different channels, using 1, 6, or 11.

With a 144 Mbps link rate, you should be able to get about twice the throughput you are getting. I don't know why you are not getting that performance.

Why are there two routers? Are both being used? If they are, they should be set to different channels, using 1, 6, or 11.

With a 144 Mbps link rate, you should be able to get about twice the throughput you are getting. I don't know why you are not getting that performance.

Like I said in a single connection it keeps varying between 70-144mbps, now does that mean there is some problem with my router as I can't find a single USB speeds problem thread anywhere on the net with speeds as low as mine?

Like I said in a single connection it keeps varying between 70-144mbps, now does that mean there is some problem with my router as I can't find a single USB speeds problem thread anywhere on the net with speeds as low as mine?

@thiggins, Please reply?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!