What's new

Netgear R7500 & R7500v2 need updated SSL Key in a firmware update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mediatrek

Regular Contributor
The original Netgear R7500 and the revision R7500v2 need firmware updates that contain the updated SSL key from Qualcomm Atheros to allow owners to access database updates for the Dynamic QoS (Streamboost-based).

Without this update, R7500 and R7500v2 owners can only update the QoS database file to the one dated April 2015. Owners can not get the database update that was issued by Qualcomm in August 2015 and the latest from December 2015.

The new SSL key was added starting in the v1.0.0.28 firmware for the R7800. At best, users know that Netgear is months behind on getting this out to it's users as the new keys I am told were issued in the second half of Summer 2015 and here we are less than a month from the first day of Spring 2016 (march 20th).

I was not aware that keys were needed for newer QoS updates.

My understanding is that QCA updated their SSL key for the secure connection Streamboost-enabled routers pull their QoS database file updates from. Without the updated key, the routers will not see that there are QoS database updates to get.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that. Hope they update it in a timely fashion then.

Will also check this with engineering and send an update..

It has been a week since you posted that you will check with engineering. Have you heard anything back? I did post this concern to the Netgear community forums and was sent a private message saying, "based from our engineers response, they have decided to discontinue creating any future updates for the 2 model numbers (R7500v1 and v2)."

In response I pointed out that "the R7500v2 JUST started shipping to retailers 4 months ago in October 2015! That is only the length of one fiscal quarter. The v2 is also a 100% QCA solution, and as part of agreements with OEM’s (ie- Netgear, d-Link, Zyxel, TrendNET) if the OEM integrates the Streamboost engine into a product the OEM must make sure the units get QoS database updates for at least 2 years after the manufacturing end date of said units/models."

That is very disheartening.....

Hi...I have been discussing with the engineering team today and the R7500v2 is almost complete and ready. I also understand the R7500v1 will follow.
So no plans to discontinue...

Are there any plans to do the same new SSL key update for the D7800? It appears that its latest firmware .46 will also only keep/update to the April 2015 database...

Last edited:
Any time frame as to when the updated R7500v2 firmware will drop? Just curious when to look out for it, thanks.

Engineering confirmed the Performance Optimisation Database (in the QoS section of the within the GUI) can be updated now...

Just tried to update the database on the D7800 - Alas, no update (still April 2015). (Also tried to upgrade the D7800 firmware - No update, still 1.0.0.46).

Last edited:
Yeah, I still don't think it is working unless I am doing something wrong. Thoughts?

upload_2016-3-16_15-29-42.png

Had a note from engineering overnight...looks like an issue with the update server so they're stating March 17th as the completion date..

Apologies for that folks...

Engineering have just confirmed that the QoS detection database can now be updated.

Believe this will be version 3.0302.cloud-g8

Not working for me on an R7800. I just get a message saying 'Failed to download Detection Database. Please try again later.' I'm on the latest V1.0.0.40 firmware.

Should note, the current version is showing as:

Version: v2.1209.cloud-ge
Release Date: December 09, 2015

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!