What's new

Netgear R7500v2 (100% QCA MU-MIMO) First Impressions & Formal Review

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mediatrek

Regular Contributor
I thought it best to start a new thread for the R7500v2. Some internal images and discussion on the unit can be seen in this thread, but since that threard’s title involves two other Netgear models, lets give the R7500v2 its own since it is now in the retail supply chain.

While none of the brick and mortar stores in my area (Best Buy, Staples, etc) have the r7500v2 in yet (just LOTS of the v1), I went ahead and ordered today from frys.com the r7500v2. This is what they are saying they are shipping out now. This unit is what I have been waiting a LONG time for. QCA MU-MIMO with Streamboost-based Dynamic QoS.

I have the Linksys EA8500 and love it’s performance, but want the Streamboost solution and was disappointed that it was not included with the EA8500. My EA8500 will most likely be used as a wireless bridge.

The only thing I do not know for 100% is what chip solution Netgear went with for the 2.4GHz radio on the R7500v2. Any ideas? I know the chip used in the original R7500 (QCA9880-BR4A) did not support transmit beamforming, while the EA8500 does on 2.4GHz. According to the FCC reports for the R7500v2 there is no beamforming support in the 2.4GHz band, so my guess is Netgear stuck with the same older gen chip for that radio.

I have had the unit now for less than 24 hours. Out of the box there was a firmware update to v1.0.0.28 from v1.0.0.26. The Dynamic QoS device interface page has changed for the better (IMO) compared to the original R7500. In addition, the QoS database file for QCA-based Netgear routers gets updated more frequently than on the Broadcom iQoS-based Netgear models (R8000, R8500).

The speedtests across my LAN (from ReadyNAS 312 to Sony VAIO w/ Intel 7260AC) were much slower than with the Linksys EA8500. Once I switched the 5G radio from “Automatic” preamble to “Short,” speed results basically matched that of the EA8500. Otherwise, the speeds I got under “Automatic” were on average 35% lower than when set to “short.” (Note- tested with no other 5G devices connected at the time)

Another thing the R7500v2 lacks is band steering. I do not understand why Netgear would not have this function on a higher end consumer market router? Hopefully this feature will be added in a future firmware update. If I recall, the original R7500 did have band steering.

The last observation I will make at this time is I am confused as to the amount of RAM the R7500v2 has. The box says 256MB. Yet when logging into the hidden page, it shows 512MB. Which is it? See the attached screenshot from the router’s hidden info page.

Attachments

• r7500v2_RAM.jpg
    r7500v2_RAM.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,252
I was not aware of the issue regarding the preamble auto selection, seems odd because from what I know, short vs long preamble, the difference should be minute in terms of performance.

The EA8500 is using a newer 4x4 chip for 2.4Ghz. The Netgear equivalent currently available is the D7800 Modem.
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Linksys_EA8500
The E8350 uses the same 3x3 chip for 2.4Ghz like the R7500
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_R7500v2

Atheros Chipsets:
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Qualcomm_Atheros

Last edited:
any new infos on the Router or Tests ? @mediatrek

I tested the Asrock G10 for 2 Weeks, but i wasn´t Impressed. and send it back, the Gaming Boost (Streamboost) function in the G10 was absolutely shirtty, had no connection to the Streamingboost update Server. Turned on, COunter-Strike Global Offensive was almost unplayable. Seemed like my packets were in some sort of a queue and don´t had priority like i selected it in the Menue.

Can u tell me if the Streaming Boost solution from Netgear is better then the Solution from Asrock ? Please give me hope. I was very disappointed with Asrock´s Streaming boost :(

Watching this thread with great interest. Especially want to hear about any glitches you encounter, as I find myself disappointed enough in my current ASUS RT-AC3200 behavior, that I am actively looking for a different model.

I will try to write a more extensively about my experience with the R7500v2 in the coming week. I will say that the 5G radio stopped transmitting twice on me. It required a reboot of the unit to start working again. This was an issue I had with earlier firmware releases on QCA-based Linksys EA8500, but is not an issue in the latest firmware from Linksys [Ver.1.1.4 (Build 168206)].

Hello,
Just got my r7500v2 for couple days. Wonder if anyone has any issue with the router?

Shouldn't that be our question to you? :)

I've been using r7500v2 for several days and so far it is working fine and don't see any issue. I am a little bit nervous since there complaints about r7500v1 using stock FW. Just hoping that v1 issues will not be carried over.

I picked up a r7500v2 yesterday from my local walmart of all places for 149.95 and it is working great so far. I have been through a few before this one with comparability issues related to using both OSX and Windows in the house. El Capitan not compatible with most brands out there; having tried TP-Link and Linksys. I retired my old Airport Extreme and wanted to get away from an apple router for increase speed and functionality. So far everything is working as it should and very fast with my slower internet connection; 20 down and 2-3 up.

Using the r7500v2 for 3 weeks and having 5Ghz connection drop even the client is just few feet from router. Plug back my old asus 56u and no issue. Thinking of returning the netgear.

Using the r7500v2 for 3 weeks and having 5Ghz connection drop even the client is just few feet from router. Plug back my old asus 56u and no issue. Thinking of returning the netgear.
That sounds more like a defective router than a design issue. Have it replaced.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

@RMerlin
Thank you. Is it possible that my clients iPad4/iPhone6 do not work well with more advanced ac router r7500v2?

Apple's wifi support has always been a PITA. They just released iOS 9.2 which, once again, promises Wifi improvements. That claim seems to be part of every single iOS (and OS X) changelog for the past 2 years.

Their Wifi have been a source of headache since back to the iOS 7 days.

I'd try upgrading OS X and iOS, wipe out any existing wifi configuration on the phones, and reconfigure it again.

so, quick question guys. Is the 7500v2 worth it for $149 at walmart? I just returned an Asus AC68U because of FIOS and intermittent disconnects from the WAN. Could figure out why it was doing that. My old WNDR3700 will works fine with FIOS.

I'd buy the R7000 but I can seem to find a good deal on it.

The R7500v2 is pretty good, I don't have any dropouts or disconnects, I use mine on CenturyLink though, with my bonded modem in transparent bridge mode, and the router doing the dialing.

From what I have heard, the AC68U though a bit older is also good in terms of range and stability, did you update it by any chance? Early firmwares of most modems can be somewhat buggy.

......The last observation I will make at this time is I am confused as to the amount of RAM the R7500v2 has. The box says 256MB. Yet when logging into the hidden page, it shows 512MB. Which is it? See the attached screenshot from the router’s hidden info page.

The amout of RAM in R7500v2 is 512MB and my box also says 512MB RAM.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!