What's new

Netgear RAX200

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So at this point, has Netgear enabled OFDMA on the RAX120 or RAX200?

No, hardware doesn't support it AFAIK. They may bring out a new revision of these models, though

So at this point, has Netgear enabled OFDMA on the RAX120 or RAX200?
It is enabled on both bands, both directions with latest firmware on RAX200. I haven't checked the status on RAX120 in awhile. I think it is only on 5 GHz, DL only.

No, hardware doesn't support it AFAIK. They may bring out a new revision of these models, though
That's incorrect. Both Broadcom (RAX200) and Qualcomm (RAX120) chipsets support OFDMA. Qualcomm supports DL only, however.

RAX15/20 and RAX45/50 support OFDMA on both bands, both directions.

It is enabled on both bands, both directions with latest firmware on RAX200. I haven't checked the status on RAX120 in awhile. I think it is only on 5 GHz, DL only.

Attachments

• 59AE1ED1-3753-4A8D-9C7B-82BEC983EE89.png
    59AE1ED1-3753-4A8D-9C7B-82BEC983EE89.png
    138.9 KB · Views: 374
Thanks for that. That would still be downlink only. The Qualcomm chipset used in the RAX120 does not support OFDMA UL.

What about MU-MIMO in both directions? Spec sheets of a lot of ax routers mention both directions.
It's hard enough getting vendors to cough up information about what flavors of OFDMA are supported. AX MU-MIMO is even worse.

I have not tried to track this down via packet capture. IIRC, UL AX MU-MIMO was removed from the first version of AX. It might be lurking in the bowels of newer AX chipsets, but I don't know if anyone has turned it on.

Ok, got my RAX200. Do the "wings" not snap into place? I followed the graphic on the sticker on top of one of the wings, but the wings seem to just sit there, unsecured, once you place them vertically.

So I just tried wall-mounting it and the "wings" just kind of flopped out when I placed the router on the wall.

Maybe it's not meant to 'fly' to the wall though? :D

Just because I had this very same problem with the "wings" in the RAX120, I'll tell you that a tiny bit of clear packing tape secures the wings. No they have no securing method other than gravity. Netgear intended them to be upgright, and the first models had not wall mount in the back. However I wall mounted mine. It works perfectly and signal is very good.

@Synomenon
With my RAX200, once I flip the wings into the vertical position, I need to push them down slightly into lock position until i hear a faint click. They are still flimsy but at least they stay in place. To fold them, I reverse the process. If you're not seeing the same, I suggest asking Netgear to replace the router under warranty.

They are flimsy. When I place them in vertical position and push them down I hear no click at all nor do I feel a click as a push them down. Just irked that they would release such an expensive router with this type of issue that shouldn't exist in it.

If it was me I would just submit a RMA and get a replacement. But on the other hand if its not affecting router performance then you may just want to forget about it.

How is the RAX200 vs the Asus AX88U vs unreleased AX86U? I think they all support OFDMA but I'd be tempted to wait for a Wi-Fi 6E router but it may be a while since it just got approved by the FCC.

From reports I've read, the RT-AX88U is better overall than the RAX200. Particularly with RMerlin firmware.

Vs. the unreleased RT-AX86U? I'll say it's still better (right now). :)

Waiting for a great WiFi 6E router right now makes no sense. 2021 is my guess of when we'll know what to buy (if WiFi 10 isn't out by then, yet). :)