What's new

Netgear WNDR3800, WD TV Live Disconnect Problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cc_in_oh

New Around Here
Hello,

I've searched in vain for help with my problem - I read the subject article so thought this might be a forum where I could get some useful advice.

First, my networking experience is very limited.

My problem is the connection between my n600 Netgear WNDR3800 router and a wireless WD TV Live SMP. I've posted on forums for both devices without results (other than recommendation to ditch WiFi for powerline ethernet).

The router's WiFi handles 3 computers, 2 tablets and a printer without a hitch. Every 5mhz-capable device uses that; the SMP can't.

The SMP connection strength is consistent at 45-55%. That's good enough to support DVD-quality streaming (say 2GB/hour) for weeks at a stretch without a hiccup Netgear Genie will show link rates of 56-121mbps. Then for a few days I'll be unable to stream even 1GB/hr video at all. Genie shows the link rate dropping to 11mbps or even lower.

Sometimes if I force reconnect over and over I can get it to hold up for the rest of the evening.

I've had this setup for about 22 months and so far the problem has always resolved itself after a few days.

(I''s not as intolerable as it sounds - the SMP has USB ports so I can easily dump content to a flash drive to watch - that's actually the only way I can watch HD content - I never had any illusions of streaming HD on WiFi)

Anyway it drives me crazy that I can't think of any rationale for it to work flawlessly 90% of the time, then fail utterly the other 10%. So I wondered if this knowledgeable group could make any sense out of it, or offer any troubleshooting tips?

Thanks,
CC