What's new

Netgear WNHDE111 5 GHz Wireless-N Access Point/Bridge Review

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sxr71

New Around Here
Before you go out and buy a WNHDE111 read this.

I have 2 of these in my apartment and they were bought to create a fast wireless bridge between 2 machines in my home. I have to say the wireless side has been working fine but note that the ethernet ports in this unit are slow 10/100 ports.

I read the whole DSLreports thread where the designer defends the choice with engineering gobbly-gook. He can talk all he wants but even he says that you can expect half of the 300mbps or may be about 150mbps actual transfer rates. WELL GUESS WHAT? Even that is faster than the piddly 100mbps stupid decision of the ethernet port.

I have tested the setup in my setting and I see clearly that the ethernet transfer rate at the port is the limiting factor. It is being pegged at 100%. This result shows that the poor design of the product negates its purpose.

I bought and paid for 5GHz Wireless-N to get the best wireless speeds which interestingly this product actually delivers only to be limited by some guy's short-sighted decision to put 10/100 ports on it.

This purchase was a waste of my time and money. Don't let it happen to you.

BTW, can anyone suggest a similar product with 10/100/1000 ports? This crap is being unloaded on Craigslist.

As I said in my other post, it would be a perfect Bridge/AP if it has 1GB port.
100Mbps port is probably fine of music, video and probably hd video streaming.
In my case, I should be able to get more 100Mbps if it had 1G port.

10/100/1G PHY is dirt cheap so I didn't understand why. My theory is that Netgear didn't believe its product would get more than 100Mbps during the design phase. Having said that, all my gears are Netgear and I have luck in all its products.

Netgear WNHDE111 5 GHz Wireless N Access Point/Bridge Review

One problem is that i do not have the cds nor manuals for the access points.

That said, from what i read online, they wont work in bridge mode to a router, but they will do bridge mode if i go access point to access point...so if i plug in the access point into my wireless router kinda sounds like a dumb idea it would let me bridge them. I think im either going to have to share the connection or get a new bridge.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!