What's new

NETGEAR’s CES 2018 Announcements:

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
netgear-xr500.jpg
NETGEAR's CES 2018 introductions include something for gamers, business and babies.

Read on SmallNetBuilder

The Duma OS this runs on is very good for gaming having used there R1 router, this could be a massive step.the geo filter and congestion control work very well

Will this get the up and coming WPA3 I wonder? Will it take a 63 character ASCII password, unlike my R7800 :rolleyes: So many questions. Think I'll stick with my R7800 for now. Gone are my bleeding edge days with Netgear.
Edit although the firmware may be better since Netgear are not going it alone. I’ll still wait for reviews first and a price drop and quite a few updates. It hopefully has to be better than the mess that Netgear call firmware at present.

Last edited:
Most of the "gaming" routers are an abomination.

As for the Netgear Armor it seems to be a bit on the expensive side if you don't use the Bitdefender family pack extensively.

Will this get the up and coming WPA3 I wonder? Will it take a 63 character ASCII password, unlike my R7800 :rolleyes: So many questions. Think I'll stick with my R7800 for now. Gone are my bleeding edge days with Netgear.

A better question (for me) is will my R7800 get WPA3 via a firmware update?

A better question (for me) is will my R7800 get WPA3 via a firmware update?
Considering none of my other devises support it and I’m not replacing them all I’m not to worried. I can see like Krack a lot of devices won’t be updated like sound bars blue ray players smart TV’s etc.

For those wondering, DumaOS = OpenWRT with some extra add-ons by Netduma on top of it.

It’s probably pretty much the same plus the extra 128 MB of NAND flash. Initial OS testing was done on the R7800 prior to release. Basically Duma overlay with one of the settings in the menu labeled as “Netgear Settings” which contains the main settings you would see in a standard Netgear router laid out as usual.

It’s probably pretty much the same plus the extra 128 MB of NAND flash. Initial OS testing was done on the R7800 prior to release. Basically Duma overlay with one of the settings in the menu labeled as “Netgear Settings” which contains the main settings you would see in a standard Netgear router laid out as usual.

sounds like any possible speed increase won’t be significant enough to warrant an upgrade from a r7800

Specs are totally the same, r7800 has the same 128mb flash and 512mb ram, if the CPU is the same its just a R7800 in disguise with optimisations to make people spend more money.

I was just wondering if it being not all Netgear code if some of the packages netgear keep hidden and not updated will be updated as its a different OS. (cant imagine netgear letting go of the wheels totally) unless they finally realise their firmware is at points very old, very buggy and with some bad bugs in new releases, so going down the OpenWRT path means its more stable long term.

I think it's the matter of time when Duma OS will arrive to R7800. Either NG itself will update R7800 or we'll see port of Duma OS from XR500 made by someone here. Hardware wise R7800 is still very capable platform and I think that XR500 have same HW under the hood. So, waiting begins =)

they share the same FCC ID and hardware :)
So Netgear finally let go of the firmware side and that's the only difference apart from the oh so aggressive gamer styling :rolleyes: Wish they could do it with the R7800 and port the OS as mentioned maybe then all the code that even Voxel cant get too would get fixed. Well I can dream ;)

Killhippie even stock R7800 firmware is OpenWRT based. Granted it’s the older 12.09 Attitude Adjustment I believe. The XR500 has 256 MB NAND vs 128 MB NAND in the R7800.

The XR500 has 256 MB NAND vs 128 MB NAND in the R7800.
Announcement said there was more flash. Spec sheet NETGEAR sent as part of press package says:
Memory: 128 MB flash and 512 MB RAM

Announcement said there was more flash. Spec sheet NETGEAR sent as part of press package says:
Memory: 128 MB flash and 512 MB RAM

They changed it from what I recall, unless I’m mistaken. Similar thing happened with the D7800 at the last minute, but it was RAM on that one. R7500v2 on some boxes said 256 MB RAM while it had 512 MB in actuality.

Oddly a bunch of sites including PC World also say 256MB flash, but checking now manual says 128 MB. Thiggins maybe you can get a clarification from Netgear.

Regardless it’s pretty much an R7800 lol, as some have stated above.

EDIT: A Netgear mod posted specs as being 256 MB flash.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Ni...awk-Pro-Gaming-WiFI-Router-XR500/td-p/1481350

Last edited:
Killhippie even stock R7800 firmware is OpenWRT based. Granted it’s the older 12.09 Attitude Adjustment I believe. The XR500 has 256 MB NAND vs 128 MB NAND in the R7800.
Maybe the new firmware wont have so many really bad bugs and ancient GPL like Netgears does presently, that's what I am hoping. Bugs like not letting QoS set priority for some users or wifi password who have a certain password length/type a weird bug where some 63 character ASCII passwords work and some don't (fine in previous versions since release firmware) :rolleyes: This is being fixed at the end of February, which is a long time to wait.

As to router ram, Netgear stated the DG3700V2 on the box had 128 mb ram but the router actually had 64mb, and even though they knew this Netgear never changed the information on the box, which in the UK is really false advertising. I guess the xr500 needs the extra ram for the new OS and GUI and 'gaming' features. I will be interested to see how it works in real world use...

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!