What's new

Network hardware management best practices and products to use

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rabbid

New Around Here
I wonder if anyone can suggest cable management best practices, and what products to use. I am installing a new network of APs, switches, and CCTV in my home. I do not have a rack because I have a perfectly empty cupboard that fits most of my equipment just fine and the cupboard is already located perfectly for access to the ceiling. I have attached a picture for reference. As you can see the cables are quite messy at the moment. I am not a sysadmin by any means so I do not know what are the best practices, what products to use to manage the cables, and what products to label the cables properly. The hardware I am using is Ubiquiti Dream Machine, Ubiquiti AP-LR, one TP link switch and one DLink switch, if anyone is interested in that information. The hole is access to the ceiling. Thank you very much.

IMG_0460.JPG

Search for cable rack or cable tray and you'll find a bunch of management products.

I prefer open shelving with no back, pulled away from any walls for good lighting, ventilation, and sufficient access all around. I avoid routing wires through holes whenever possible... an unnecessary nuisance that tends to tie equipment down, making it even more inaccessible.

OE

I prefer open shelving with no back, pulled away from any walls for good lighting, ventilation, and sufficient access all around. I avoid routing wires through holes whenever possible... an unnecessary nuisance that tends to tie equipment down, making it even more inaccessible.

OE
Thanks. I would like better equipment too but I have to work with what I’ve got :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!