What's new

Network Map Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dkasseb

New Around Here
So, this is a thing that has bugged me for a long time. When I am on the Network Map page, I see the clients connected with 31 connected clients. Then it will "drop" most of the clients and the client count goes down to 3-4 clients. The client connections will go back as if the clients are reconnecting with the router. Why is that? My wifi signal is very good at no more than -62dB signal.

It drives me nuts. Is there any way to stop this from happening?

Use the smart phone app. Or for your own sanity, just don't stare at the client list.
Strangely, my list of 30+ clients is pretty stable (Asus 32799 f/w)

I believe they changed networkmap so that it 'auto' refreshes instead of having to hit a Refresh button to make sure you have the current list. When it refreshes, it wipes the list and rebuilds it. I don't think the clients are actually disconnected, it's just the list being rebuilt. Obviously the algorithm needs some work, and since it's closed source now, only ASUS can do it.

It drives me nuts. Is there any way to stop this from happening?

This is how Asus designed it - when you access it, it will flush the current list, and rescan your network.

A lot of things are broken/quirky since Asus decided to close the source code to networkmap, and I can no longer fix it...

This is how Asus designed it - when you access it, it will flush the current list, and rescan your network.

A lot of things are broken/quirky since Asus decided to close the source code to networkmap, and I can no longer fix it...
I have a weather station that turns off its WiFi every so many minutes. When I asked the manufacturer why they said it was to conserve power though it is powered by house current. Sometimes you have to just accept the crazy engineering and move on.

I have a weather station that turns off its WiFi every so many minutes. When I asked the manufacturer why they said it was to conserve power though it is powered by house current. Sometimes you have to just accept the crazy engineering and move on.

Maybe they have a large market base in locations where the station is powered by a battery instead of the power grid, since it's deployed in a remote location?

Maybe they have a large market base in locations where the station is powered by a battery instead of the power grid, since it's deployed in a remote location?
You would think but it is designed such that when you disconnect power it stops all communications and battery is used to continue displaying last readings and retain configuration.

I have a temp system as well for our Coach that does that same thing..... It is on 120v and has battery backup but its manual even states WiFi requires 120v. Probably could adapt it to the Coach's House batteries.

I wish it would just stay connected.. oh well.