1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Network Map Question

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by dkasseb, Dec 12, 2018.

1. dkasseb

dkasseb New Around Here

So, this is a thing that has bugged me for a long time. When I am on the Network Map page, I see the clients connected with 31 connected clients. Then it will "drop" most of the clients and the client count goes down to 3-4 clients. The client connections will go back as if the clients are reconnecting with the router. Why is that? My wifi signal is very good at no more than -62dB signal.

It drives me nuts. Is there any way to stop this from happening?

2. Ronald Schwerer

Ronald Schwerer Senior Member

Use the smart phone app. Or for your own sanity, just don't stare at the client list.
    Strangely, my list of 30+ clients is pretty stable (Asus 32799 f/w)

3. john9527

john9527 Part of the Furniture

I believe they changed networkmap so that it 'auto' refreshes instead of having to hit a Refresh button to make sure you have the current list. When it refreshes, it wipes the list and rebuilds it. I don't think the clients are actually disconnected, it's just the list being rebuilt. Obviously the algorithm needs some work, and since it's closed source now, only ASUS can do it.

4. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

This is how Asus designed it - when you access it, it will flush the current list, and rescan your network.

A lot of things are broken/quirky since Asus decided to close the source code to networkmap, and I can no longer fix it...

ApexRon likes this.
  5. ApexRon

ApexRon Senior Member

I have a weather station that turns off its WiFi every so many minutes. When I asked the manufacturer why they said it was to conserve power though it is powered by house current. Sometimes you have to just accept the crazy engineering and move on.

6. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Maybe they have a large market base in locations where the station is powered by a battery instead of the power grid, since it's deployed in a remote location?

ApexRon likes this.
  7. ApexRon

ApexRon Senior Member

You would think but it is designed such that when you disconnect power it stops all communications and battery is used to continue displaying last readings and retain configuration.

8. DroidST

DroidST Regular Contributor

I have a temp system as well for our Coach that does that same thing..... It is on 120v and has battery backup but its manual even states WiFi requires 120v. Probably could adapt it to the Coach's House batteries.

I wish it would just stay connected.. oh well.