What's new

Network monitoring - still pinging every minute even though its switched off

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bakgwei

New Around Here
I need a little help here: I have disabled Network Monitoring (--> Administration --> System). Yet my router still pings wikipedia.org every minute.

I could reproduce this by 1) enabling Network Monitoring again, 2) changing the destination address to qq.com, and then 3) disabling Network Monitoring again. Now, the router pings qq.com every minute (instead of wikipedia.org).

Is there a way to disable this completely? I am using NextDNS on the free plan, so this is literally eating up my 300.000 free DNS queries per month.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-03 094437.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-08-03 094437.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 113
Does a reboot help?

Does a reboot help?
No it doesn't.

@RMerlin I can confirm this bug/feature on RT-AX86U w/ 386.3. I don't know whether this was the case with previous versions.

With Network Monitoring - Ping enabled the router does a target name resolution and ping every 5 seconds. In addition there is another name resolution and ping every 60 seconds.

When Network Monitoring - Ping is disabled the 5 second ping stops but the additional 60 second ping continues to run.

@bakgwei A workaround is to enable Network Monitoring - Ping and erase the contents of the Ping Target field. Then apply that change. The pings will now stop. You can now uncheck the Ping box and apply that change as normal if you want to.

Last edited: