What's new

Network Power Management - remote wakeup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bbalmer

New Around Here
Just wanted to mention a free application for managing PC energy usage as I thought folks here might find it useful. Effectively it lets you have schedule based power schemes in Windows. By doing so you can ensure the computers stay awake when you use them (e.g. working hours) and allow them to fall asleep during times you normally don't. Obviously windows already can idle to sleep if the machine is not in use, but this application gives you a lot more control and can eliminate the annoyance factor of having to always wake your machine. It can save some significant energy v.s. leaving your machine on all the time.

There is also a Remote Wake piece that only comes with the business version of the product. This version is also centrally managed and you can define schedules for groups of computers and run reports that show energy savings. If you have a Router that supports VPN connections you can
1. Make a VPN connection
2. Use the browers to access the SetPower Service web page which allows you to log in and pick the machine you want to wake (Uses Wake On LAN)
3. Remote into your machine as usual.

www.setpowersoftware.com

Full Disclosure - I am one of the authors of the application. We have been having a big uptake on Small Business/Home Network users and I thought I would spread the work.

Thanks for the post and being upfront about your identity.