What's new

Network settings on the router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

deed

New Around Here
Hello, I’m using the ASUS RT-AX55 router and found a function called Smart Connect on it, and I have a question. What is better, setting up a separate network or enabling the Smart Connect function? What will happen if, for example, all devices connect to the 5GHz network? Can this overload the channel or can the network only slow down when the router is overloaded and cannot handle the load? Sorry for such a silly question, I’'m not an expert on networks.

Hello, I’m using the ASUS RT-AX55 router and found a function called Smart Connect on it, and I have a question. What is better, setting up a separate network or enabling the Smart Connect function? What will happen if, for example, all devices connect to the 5GHz network? Can this overload the channel or can the network only slow down when the router is overloaded and cannot handle the load? Sorry for such a silly question, I’'m not an expert on networks.
Using Dual Band Smartconnect seems to be a matter of choice. I use it. Others don't. There are pros and cons. Modern clients will work with the router to choose the best band, 2.4 or 5 GHz, to use. With Dual Band Smartconnect enabled and if you use the DFS channels the clients can switch to the 2.4 GHz band if RADAR is detected and the 5 GHz shuts off for a couple of minutes.
I advocate for not changing the default WIFI settings. Others disagree...

There are physical limits on how many clients can connect to a WiFi network, like 64 or 128 etc. depending on the router/AP build. But don't worry about that until you notice a slow down among your too many clients. Avoid a ton of IoT clients to keep it simple/less troublesome.

Smart Connect is a WiFi chipset feature that allows you to use the same WiFi SSID name on both the 2.4 and 5.0 WLANs. Then the router is suppose to help the client connect to the best SSID/band/WLAN... typically the 5.0 band when close and the 2.4 band when far. The user enjoys the elegance of managing only one SSID name... but it's still two WLANs, each with the same SSID name.

You can disable Smart Connect and still use the same SSID names (client band steers/fails over). Or, use different SSID names (user band steers/segregates clients) and only connect your clients to a preferred SSID/band/WLAN.

Remember that clients ultimately decide where to connect, whether the router SC helps them along or not.

If you elect to use Smart Connect, watch how your clients connect to determine if they are connecting to the preferred band and enjoy the best connection link rate... not throughput... possible. Feel free to try it both ways... with or without SC enabled to see how your clients behave.

Google WiFi terms or search ASUS Support FAQs for more information.

OE

Last edited:
. Modern clients will work with the router to choose the best band, 2.4 or 5 GHz, to use.

Modern clients are typically set to prefer 5ghz, but they don't work with the router at all for that decision.

Smart connect is the router hiding the 2.4ghz from a client (delaying the beacon) in order to force it over to 5 hopefully, but the client and router don't communicate or negotiate at all, it's a bit of a hack like roaming assistant. The more generic name for it is band steering.

Generally you want any 5ghz capable device to connect to 5 when in range. Most will do this automatically but smart connect can help enforce it a bit more. Basically it is like using the same SSID on both bands, which many do, plus an extra feature to help nudge clients to 5ghz.

As long as you don't have a ton of 5ghz clients having them all on 5 is fine.

For the most flexible setup, you can have your main LAN with smart connect or just the same SSID on both bands, then create a guest network (with intranet access enabled) that has two different SSIDs for the two bands. That way you have the ability to use the auto switching SSID for some clients and the other two for anything you want to force to one or the other.

I advocate for not changing the default WIFI settings. Others disagree...

This is what @deed got from default settings with Auto channel:

What is better, setting up a separate network or enabling the Smart Connect function?

Separate SSIDs allow more control over where the devices connect. Smart Connect is not smarter than you.